• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Demill requirements for import of british L23a1 76mm gun

teletech

I know it needs a demill beyond what the UK did already but I'm not sure if it's "the usual" for importing other types of firearms.
I checked the AFT site and while they have online help for things like a G3 or FAL they don't have anything on a falling-block gun. I tried contacting the technical branch but they want 60-90 days to reply and I need to get the vehicle on a ship before that so I thought I'd reach out here.
I went to the Littlefield auction and it looked like some of the bigger stuff had been demilled (recently) with just deep welding on the breech.
Barrel import normally required 3-holes I gather but with the work involved in 76mm holes I was wondering if I can just cut it in half and torch some material off the chamber area?
Cutting the breech of a tank gun, how many cuts and where or can I just weld it up heavily?
I can just have the barrel and breech removed entirely but I'd like the option of having it look as real as I can.

thanks again,
P_

B3.3T

Currently, you need of course your approved Form 6 for the vehicle. The gun must have the breech removed and a hole 76mm cut into the side of the chamber.

martinwcox

Currently, you need of course your approved Form 6 for the vehicle. The gun must have the breech removed and a hole 76mm cut into the side of the chamber.
You will also need an EPA and DOT form if there is a vehicle involved as well.

A Form-6 WILL take 60-days so being in a rush will not work!

Last edited:

teletech

I have a form-6 in process for the vehicle (most of a month), will I need a second for the demilled gun? I had assumed that since it wasn't an actual weapon of any sort it was just part of the vehicle.
I'm still hanging about how to demill the breech area, does the whole thing need to be removed or can it just be welded shut or a big chunk cut out of it?

thanks,
P_

martinwcox

I have a form-6 in process for the vehicle (most of a month), will I need a second for the demilled gun? I had assumed that since it wasn't an actual weapon of any sort it was just part of the vehicle.
I'm still hanging about how to demill the breech area, does the whole thing need to be removed or can it just be welded shut or a big chunk cut out of it?

thanks,
P_
The Form-6 covers the whole vehicle. As previously stated by B3.3T and as per the Form-6 for my Scorpion, breach is to be cut in half (vertical plane) with a torch having a tip of minimum 1/2", a hole is to be cut in the barrel high pressure chamber that is a minimum of the caliber of the barrel. I didn't import the vehicle but have all the paperwork that was used. Included was a letter from the ATF technical branch that detailed the demil procedure.

My last 2 Form-6's which were for an engine and track etc. are stamped, NOTE: NO FIREARM BARRELS ARE AUTHORIZED FOR IMPORTATION UNDER THIS PERMIT.

Whilst its not a 'firearm' it would be a Destructive Device under NFA and would require permits etc.

I would exercise caution as there is always the possibility of the vehicle being seized by Customs and then you are basically screwed.

Get a good Customs Broker \ Freight Forwarder involved as well, they can advise you.

Good Luck.

teletech

Just got my form-6 back (5-weeks). Martin's information is spot-on It looks like the demill hasn't changed much, a bore-caliber hole in the chamber and a vertical cut in the breech. I think the only thing is the cut has to be made with a torch and has to displace 1/2" of steel, so it's going to get ugly! :(

I have attached the document page from the office of loud parties(I hope).

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks