• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Denver to Minnesota on a motorcycle, then back with the 5 ton

DcDuqueMuerto

Hey All,

In lieu of shipping a truck back, I am thinking I may just drive it home. Picked up a low mileage m923a2 out of Little Falls. Now, I figure I've got a good excuse to road trip it back. Which then got me thinking, why not take my vintage style motorcycle out there instead of flying....

Now, I get that its not the best of ideas. But, it would provide for an awesome road trip both directions, and make for a heck of a good time (assuming things go well).

Getting the bike into the truck would be "simple" as I'd just have to find a loading dock in Little Falls. Once home (in Denver) I have access to any number of ways to get it back.

Anyone have tips on what tools/materials to bring for the journey back? Or really, as this is the internet. Any thoughts period?

MtnSnow

Is the truck your getting known to be road worthy? That's a lot of miles on an unknown, Expensive tow bill if something goes south. If set on driving it back I would suggest having a local to the truck SS member get it checked out and repair any glaring issues before hitting the road. Have extra fuel filters and a can of clean fuel so you can prime the truck/filters if need be. Make sure you have tools/jack/spare tire and a CC with a good amount of credit available with you to deal with any unexpected expenses.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope the recent foot of snow melts before you have to pick it up:mrgreen:

Seriously though, I would not recommend it. You are going to want to bring tools, fluids and other items that can not be carried on a motorcycle. And what if you break down how would you get your cycle out of the back? Line up a truck, it would be much cheaper than getting an emergency tow truck. Just my 2cents

DcDuqueMuerto

I am trying to get my buddy to run my Dually as a chase truck just in case. I'm still waiting on a few shipping quotes. I've already given up on the motorcycle. I might bring my little POS little four door so that I have a vehicle.

Don't know anyone on the forum that could check it out. The listing said running and driving, and it has less than 5k on it. Not sure. I love adventures, but also hate being stranded on an unknown issue.

mcmullag

I rented a car and drove out to Nellis AFB in NV with a friend and drove one back home 860 miles. I brought tools and fluids and extra bulbs. Needed to change out a tailite bulb right away. It started right up, had to air up the tires, canvas cab leading edge starting tearing so had to duct tape that....just saying....so it is possible to do but so many on here have to make that tough decision about how to get a truck home from GL.

DcDuqueMuerto

I just looked into rental cars. That isn't a bad idea. I priced one out for just about $200. Get it there, and I can leave it in a town near the pickup location. Driver her home. My friends parents offered to let me leave the truck in their town around 4 hours away in case anything goes wrong. So, we're getting closer I guess

DcDuqueMuerto

Well... It's decided. Purchased a little econo box to drive out there, set up to tow it back. I'll make start a proper thread once the journey begins. Thanks all for the PM's and such for advice.

Looking foward to the shenanigans on the site!