• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Desert Storm water carrier?

Stonepicker1

Or the water cans could be full and the same on the other side...with a cargo strap hooked to the water cans on each side to help hold the concertina wire on top of the cargo shell. Or empty and tied to the strap because of no more room inside the truck.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a period correct Desert Shield/Desert Storm soldier impression, and I use my M1009 as part of my display. I've seen that picture during my research of M1009's used in Operation Desert Storm. I'm also curious as to how the cans are mounted to the side.

lostinutah

Drock, that was my first thought. Rusty and Stone, they seem to uniform to just be bungee strapped. I ride a lot through the Utah desert and the space I could save with that setup would make quite a difference. I thought about using the idea for an external storage/toolbox. I am trying to keep my newer M1009 a bit cleaner than my last one. I have a habit of serious redneckery. I have no doubt that it may be some soldier's field mods. Just figured I'd try to find out.

cucvrus

I would think the addition of a roof rack would be much more useful and less detrimental to the M1009 outer body panels. With the roof rack you could haul everything pictured and a whole bunch more. No need to have cans hanging on the side grabbing everything that goes by. in the desert with no tools. I see why they did it. I am sure I could make a rack to carry all that stuff. I used the frames from bulk fluid tanks to make a couple roof racks in the past. Very inexpensive and light weight. They have held a few water cans and a spare tire while traveling. I also ratchet strap them down and anchor the tie rings thru the fiberglass roof. Easy fix if needed and NO rust to deal with. Just a thought. Happy Holidays.

lostinutah

I am building a low profile HMMWV style roof rack. I like the addition of the rack on the brush guard, may use that one.. Still may build a mount for large ammo can on rear panels.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
How is the protester control rack supposed to work?

LostinUtah, i might have a solution for side rack water storage. I'll see if I can get a pic shortly.

cucvrus

mad max.jpgimagesriding old couch.jpgSaw it in a movie once and just thought I would give it a try. I suppose you put 2 protesters on the rack and all the others move out of your way. It looked good in the movie. Seen a bear on a sofa once also. Very amusing.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
The water cans on the side would be if you wanted to represent one of one (or a few) that did that. Anyone see what unit it is? We had only one CUCV that crossed the berm. We had been converted to HMMWVs. The CUCV didn't make it to the end. Got stuck, then jumped a dune and the frame broke. Only vehicle that didn't make the long march north in my unit. Bring this up cause this must be some in the rear with the beer unit or before the ground war started.

lostinutah

Then.... A period correct Beer unit. Could those be giant canteens of beer? Seriously just thought they looked cool and could be functional. I use the 09 for family camping and sand boarding excursions. In the winter she doubles as a DD since motorcycles are notoriously horrible on icy roads. I have some ideas, that if I fab them, I will have to post them in the what have you done thread.

cucvrus

You can bolt them to the body. I would not recommend doing that. It is going to be sticking out there and 1 hit from anything and BOOM they are gone and you have a lot of body damage. The stronger you make the side mounts the more damage. I would mount them on top on front or on rear. But I have seen the damage that many of the side mounted antenna brackets do to the 1/4 panels. But you can just stick riv-nuts in the side and mount them or reach up in there and nut and bolt it with fender washers inside. That will be a great rust farm between the bracket and the body panel. I am being real. Do as you wish. Happy Holidays.

cucvrus

I thought about this over night. You could add a formed angle between the sides of the rear roof and the body. Sandwich 1 of the legs of the angle maybe aluminum/ stainless or galvaneal between the roof and the body side rail. You could add anything to the second exposed leg of the angle and it would not be attached to the body of the M1009. I suppose a piece of 16 Gauge would be good. You will need to remove the top and drill the holes in the angle to fit between the top and rail and use the existing bolts. No permanent Mods. If you decide you don't like it unbolt it , remove it and move on. Use aluminum bolts/mono bolts/ rivets as to prevent massive impact damage. it would be better to break away attached items then rip the side off the vehicle. Just a thought. What do you think?

cucvrus

I was out working in my shop today and I thought about the brackets I mentioned for attaching things to the sides with out drilling the side panels. I had a few ideas and some brackets I made for another project. These would work for what you want to do. DSCF2386.jpgDSCF2385.jpgDSCF2384.jpgDSCF2383.jpgDSCF2382.jpgDSCF2381.jpgSee how easy that would be? And on the bottom edge I would put a piece of rubber trim so it does not mar the side panel. Easy as you can get. And no damage to the truck at all. Unless you hit something while you have something mounted out there.