• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Determing year of mfg on M923A1

randygk

I have searched forums and internet for finding a way to determine the year of a M923A1. Trucks I have seen do not have the year stamped on the data plate on the dash. I would get a truck at least 25 years old so as to register it Historic Vehicle.
Apologies if I have missed this posted somewhere
Thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
contract dates

randygk

M923A1 Year of Mfg Help

Howdy, hate to be a pain but I'm not having any luck finding out what year my truck is. Carnac returned info that it is a 1995. Bless his noggin for all that he does, but he is unable to definitively determine year of mfg.
1995 may be a rebuild date. I talked to American General military tech rep and they do not have records to determine year. He said it would not be a 1995, but probably mid 1980.
My ser # is C523532007 dash plate (consistent with AM General numbering sys)
Frame # 9304 603
Anyone with an M923A1 may have a number close to mine and could let me know what year their truck is.
Thanks
Randy

Rifleman

Randy, i hope it turns out to have been made in the 1980's that way it will cost you ALOT LESS to Lic. and plate it and no weight fee too.

randygk

Transmission, Axle & Transfer Case Date Code

Getting closer to finding out what year my M923A1 is. Found the Transmission date code is year and a letter for the month (example h =8th month- August) Allison offers a web page to insert serial number and it comes up with model and what accessories were installed. The Rockwell axle and transfer case date code is the day of the year and then the year.

two.fiveM35

Good luck, with my deuce CARNAC has on year, GL had another, and my SF97 had a third year. I'm waiting for the delivery of my m923a1 and am hoping the year is an 83 as stated on GL

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
They usually put the date on the sf97 that you enter when you file for it. If you put 1979 you would more than likely get your sf97 that said 1979 on it. Dmv can't cross reference the date on the serial numbers so they really have no choice but to go by what's on the form.

Scarecrow1

To my knowledge of these trucks there was a 3 year Mft run on the production of these trucks. Also even with the rebuild date it didn't change the year to when it was rebuilt. The year it was made it will always be the same. I have an A1 and it is a 1985 with two rebuild tags on it yours will or at least should be one of these 3 years 85 ,86,87. Good luck they are great trucks to own.

randygk

Started the registration process and the CA dmv sent me to the CHP to have the vin verified. I told the officer the axles were mfg in mid Sept 1984 and the truck should probably be a 1985. He said the eng date is '83 so the truck is a '84, so that's what year I get. Not that big a deal. I have held off requesting the SF97, figuring I will match the SF97 year with what the dmv states just to make life easy, as GL had no clue to what year or make. DMV just sent all paperwork back, they want more money, surprise. I'm just enjoying looking at the truck. Plus when it's idling, if I put my ear to the intake it sounds like an Alco switcher idling in the yard! Also, on the scale it was 23080 lbs.