• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Detroit 6v91 smoking

goatijoe

I have a buddy that is trying to straighten out a wheeled apc that has theDetroit 6v91. the yahoo's at another shop that somehow changed the transmission in it and had the heads off the motor and who knows what else has been tinked with for some reason. so the the police department took it to my buddy and he was telling me it produces lots of black smoke and no power it runs smoth at idling and smooth when you race the motor it will only get up to 25mph and it will not go any faster with the lack of power and cannot for the life of him figure it our or have anyone that can remember those motors to help him . has any of yall ran across any thing like this? thanks for any help

battlecr

I would say rack adjustment, also check the quill shaft that runs the blower, those were a problem if it was reved up and shut down it can break. Sounds like the blower is not working. We had that issue on the 113's.

battlecr

It might be turning when you look at it but that shaft may still be broke and not letting it turn up to speed. Really should check the blower drive!

Don G.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
^^ this and a 6v91? Maybe either a 71 or 92 series, 53 if older. Other issues are a plugged return line or a sucked shut/obstructed clean air inlet. There is also a screen between the blower and the engine. I have seen that plugged with paper and tape.

If the heads have been off then you need to run the rack. That refers to injector timing and height adjustment. You need a 92 series service manual, and a few special tools. You also need to find out what number and color code the injectors have, and to make sure they all match. Unfortunately it's a big pain if you've never done it, and impossible without the right tools. Your best bet is to ask around and find an old 2-stroke Detroit mechanic to do it for you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks