• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

detroit locker in the rear axle(s)

rmgill

From what I've read, you want to engage manual diff locks only when you need them. A detroit on one rear axle would be fine on one of the driving axles with the other ussing a selectable air locker. A selectable air locker on the front would allow you to get the different tire speeds you need for useful steering.

A locked diff lock in the front steer axle means no turning when you try because both tires WILL spin at the same speed. It's tough with locked rears, a locked front axle is very bad for steering.

rizzo

PS : I understand, what is said about the front shafts being weak. I've never heard that before, but it doesnt matter. One of the main reason I buy 6x6's is for off road use. And I use them off road more than on the road. So if they break I will get new ones if they break again I will get alloys. Off road I'm not gonna do something cause my shafts "might" break. I'm also not the type of guy to drive it into a impossible situation just because beat the heck out of my equipment.

rizzo

mcinfantry said:
you out 3 detroits in a deuce and im willing to bet it will not turn left or right offroad
that would be interesting to see. Eugene has one DL in the front. He might put one or more in during the winter. If he does I will let you know what happens

mcinfantry

well my m715 locked front and rear was rediculous trying to turn offroad. powersteering would turn the wheels, but the locker stil made it go straight. and THANK GOD i had a selectable up front

breelanr

gringeltaube wrote:
A little bit off topic: shafts & hubs on both sides of the middle axle? Why?

These were originally installed as one on each rear axle to select either axle to drive. After the locker install both were installed in one axle so they were not just sitting on the shelf in the garage. :)

Ray

Adamlee

locker conversation

I remember a rust bucket Scout II I bought as parts truck for the driver Scout that I was using. Had a Pow'R-Lok front diff, and a Pow'R-Lok rear diff, from the factory. Of course, these were not as aggressive as Detroit Lockers...but just the same, it was a nice combo...not that it ever got used, it was very much ONLY a parts truck that I barely could drive to the storage lot.

Wishing I still had my old 76 Scout II... :( ...345 V8, 727 Mopar trans, 3.54 geared Dana 44's front and rear....with PS and disc brakes....very fun.

spicergear

RE: locker conversation

I'll throw my $0.02 in here. My one M715 has a pair of Rockwells and Detroit lockers AND 46" XML's with the tread blocks cut for added traction. McInfantry's M715 had 38" XL's and just a different animal all together...I say this as not to discredit in any way what he had stated. I think a LOT of what we're dealing with, not to oversimplify, is traction via the tire type...not just traction per tires per axle. My M715 with big grippy XML's and Detroits does actually turn. It has no choice to do so because it's an 8,000Lb truck with lots of traction. With the front end turned to the factory Rockwell steering stops it doesn't push much and forces the lighter contact pressure rear axle to churn the inside rear tire and tear up whatever is under it. Make no mistake that Detroits are so positive and creat a LOT of mechanical bind as different forces are applied. An example of this is turning on blacktop- The tires need to turn at different speeds to be mechanically efficient yet the locker holds them to the same speed. I can use my front locker as a parking brake by steering to one side and throwing the clutch in. There is so much traction and so much bind from the detroit not allowing the different tire speeds that with no power applied from the truck (and not in a coast to a stop which will usually unlock the detroits) the truck will hold on the hill like a brake is on.

Continuing with traction; TwinPinion is correct in that having the front axle drag the whole truck is a great strain on it's parts. That being said, tremendous amounts of traction have to be available to the front for it to hook up that positively to drag the rest of the truck and stand a chance of breaking something. I have lockouts on my big M715 and a spare Detroit at the moment. At some point those lockouts will be put on my deuce truck along with that Detroit in the front axle. With wheel manufacturer's prices rising and quality falling for the wheels that a decent amount of us would like to put on our trucks to support wide 42-46" tires with meaty treads, it would realistically appear that a lot of people are going to use their trucks hard with stock tires or maybe 10 or 1100x20's on a stock wheel. Even with the weight of the front of the truck my feeling would be that it would have to take that absolute perfect moment of hot asphault like traction on one front wheel and every other tire in slick goop to pop a front axle shaft.

My big M715, sure I don't have 6,000Lbs on the front axle but it's an 8,000Lb 4x4 pickup. It's been wheeled real hard with Detroits and 46" XML's with no steer axle whoa's what so ever...which has to really say something about them and the possiblility of lasting a long, long time in a stock tired deuce truck that by sheer size is limited to it's offroad capabilities.

I think McInfantry or Effing Rizzo also stated about with 3 lockers the truck would not want to steer. In my experience with the deuce off road and a 5 ton load (grasping, but likening that load to a pair of rear lockers) it did not want to steer with any kind of comfortable response time. When I pulled the front axle in my steering was GREATLY improved as the front then is literally trying to pull you the direction you want to go not just coasting along in a 'push' situation. YES, that didn't have a locker in it, BUT I do feel from other experience that the locker wouldn't have been that detrimental in turning...AGAIN, because of the sheer weight above it to plant those tires and make it follow your command.

She will, however, REALLY steer like a truck without an assist and make a mental note to keep your hands on the outside of the steering wheel in case it hooks something and spins real fast...anyone that's been beaten by the spokes will attest to this.

Bulvot

RE: Re: RE: locker conversation

I'd like to add a little more information on how Detroits work. I've got a lot of off-roading experience in heavy 4 wheeled vehicles and have had opportunity to observe, use and wrench on them in all kinds of configurations. Germaine to this discussion, I've got a lot of experience with the following types of differentials:

Open - What the M35 has stock
Spooled - Both sides turn at the same speed no matter what
Limited Slip - Clutch packs, work best when the traction difference between sides is "limited", not extreme
Torsen - Torque sensing, extreme differences in traction can be compensated for with brake pressure, essentially turning it into a spooled differential on demand, and a limited slip at all other times (but with no clutch packs to wear out)
Selectable (ARB, Eaton, etc) - open differential normally, when engaged it functions like a spooled differential
Detroit - Output must meet or EXCEED the input

More on the Detroit, since that's the topic here...note how I said "exceed". What that means is the following:

When applying drive power to the input of the differential, it will cause both output flanges to turn as if locked, HOWEVER, both output flanges can turn FASTER than the input is driving them. For example, if you are turning and applying power, the inside wheel will be forced to turn at the minimum speed allowed by the input. The outside wheel will be pushed faster because it is on the outside arc of the turning vehicle. The detroit locker allows this wheel to turn faster than it is trying to drive it via, essentially, a ratcheting mechanism.

When applying braking power to the input of the differential (like when using engine braking), the differential will cause both output flanges to turn as if locked, HOWEVER, both output flanges can turn SLOWER than the input is driving them. In the same turn as described above, the outside wheel will now be receiving the braking power from the input and the inside wheel will be allowed to spin slower since it is on the inside arc of the turning vehicle.

This is why you often hear people complain about a truck with a Detroit locker being loose in the rear in turns. If you enter a turn under acceleration and then let off of the gas during the turn, the vehicle is forced to slow suddenly (due to the transfer of power/slip between the left and right outputs on the differential) and the entire weight of the vehicle will shift as a result. At higher speeds this can brake traction on the axle(s) with a detroit locker, especially on a low traction surface (snow, wet pavement, etc).

Driving a vehicle with a detroit locker on pavement is no big deal, you just need a little more forethought and understanding of the dynamics involved. Detroits in the front are definitely doable, you just have to be aware of the dynamics of how your truck will react to different actions on different surfaces and different turning scenarios.

In my opinion, Torsen and Detroit differentials are the two best options out there for a truck that will be used both on and off road. I don't generally like to modify a vehicle from stock (I'd rather buy it purpose built), but if I were to change differentials on an M35, I would go to Detroits before I went to anything else.

KISS. ARB's require air, Eatons and others require cables or electrical connections. Detroits are rock solid and proven.

Regardless of opinions on which differential is better, the fact is that a truck with a Detroit locker in the front WILL turn just fine. Just be aware of the dynamics involved when going between power vs no power. It could make for some hairy moments if you're not prepared for it. It WILL turn, maybe just not at the exact point you expected it to if you change between powered and not powered during the turn.

Just my two cents.

patr

With lock-out hubs, is the locker, like a Detroit, negated while the hubs are unlocked. If this were the case, there would be no downside to the DL in front axle, right?

tsmall07

gringeltaube said:
houdel,
I hate to disturb your dreams... but I learned it the hard way... DL is not a limited slip, and there is no differentiation even if they like to use that word in their brochure. What it does while making a corner is allowing the outer wheel to disengage from the rest of the power train until both wheels turn at equal speed again. Under load (accelerating or coasting downhill/ engine braking) it keeps both shafts solidly connected, like a spool. Installed in the front axle would be fine if it wasn't a steering axle...
^^truth^^

A DL in the front can be manageable (at least in smaller trucks), but is certainly not the optimal set up. I would save money for an ARB for the front.

yorkgulch2

Ryan said-
Personally, i'd prefer locking axles that I could select or de-select. Basically, a panel with three air switches in a row and a lever for engaging the rear axle from the middle. That's my dream setup. Basically a Giant Pinzgauer.

Already been done! They are the m621-624 Norweign dueces. There are some posts on the m621. If any one finds one of these trucks for sale please let me know.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a hook in Norway a few years back. The trucks could be bought in running condition for about $3000 US IIRC. Shipping might be expensive. Axles could be had for around $600 each. Some day in the future I may be able to dig up this contact info. Rear axles have been available here for a while through 2 dealers that I know of. There probably aren't many left. m35-tom has just built an M621. He had to buy 3 rear axles and create his own front axle which took a little dancing to come up with that one off front axle with the double splines. His truck is a study on creation just like his CAT powered truck was.

Manstein

Chaplain Emeritus
Lots of interesting opinions and info. I rock crawl with my jeep. I run a Detroit in the rear and a Detroit limited slip in the front. My jeep is still a daily driver and that makes the best combo for both worlds. I would have to agree that a locker in the front would probably overstress the front axles.

joec

My experience with lockers are the are designed to ratchet when turnning then lock back in going straight. I have had lockers in about everything. I have had alittle experience with them. But same principle how they work.

spicergear

sparkylisle said:
I have a bobbed m35 and I would like to install a detroit locker in the rear axle. www.usa6x6.com has instructions on his website and the install seems straight-foreward. ...and what are some things to watch out for???quote]

USA6x6 for one :)

Here's a trick I use dealing with the adjusting nut on either side of the differential. What I usually do is to loosen the main bolts holding the caps on, take out the locking bolt and tab, back them each off by like two or three turns then gently remove the retainer caps and try to leave them in the threads in the chunk. This aids in going back together and getting proper preload on the bearings. Just spin them back in by the same amount of turns. Works for me-

Pssst...twinpinion...2 e's in beneficial, mr. editor. ;)

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only thing better then one locker in a rear differential, is two lockers back there - for all conditions! I have run two lockers in a highway truck for many hundreds of thousands of miles, without looking back. Dry pavement, overweight, over sized loads, snow or ice or mud, - they work without problems.

The only questiion is if you want one in the front!

Lee in Alaska

AJMBLAZER

patr said:
With lock-out hubs, is the locker, like a Detroit, negated while the hubs are unlocked. If this were the case, there would be no downside to the DL in front axle, right?
Yep.

Except if you were trying to drive on road in 4x4 or 6x6 during winter in the north. A front locker is NOT good for slippery winter driving.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
there would be no downside to the DL in front axle, right?
The downside is the locker is disabled.

The downside when enabled is often not enough to offset the benefits. The slippery winter roads road AJMBLAZER points out above may be the exception.

It may be interest some, the v-100 was designed with Detroit type lockers frt and rear. Probably for the very rare need to swim, though off road it would be advantageous. JimK

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks