• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Detroit Lockers

Gearbox

Hello All,

I'm new to this board and just have a few questions about the M35.

1.) Does it hurt the M35 to run it on the highway at 55-60mph for long distances (about 2000 miles)? I'm not buying one for an over the road rig. I just like to drive and want to know if it would hurt it.

2.) Is it worth installing Detriot Lockers in the rear two axles for winter driving?

I'm sure that I will have plenty more questions as we go.

Thank you in advance for your help.

broman78

let me be the first to tell you people are going to tell you to use the search. Now with that said the deuce doesn't like long high rpm trips. Take it slow and you are alright, keep it within 2100 to 2300 rpm. Not sure about your other questions.

Gearbox

let me be the first to tell you people are going to tell you to use the search. Now with that said the deuce doesn't like long high rpm trips. Take it slow and you are alright, keep it within 2100 to 2300 rpm. Not sure about your other questions.
Thanks Broman. I appreciate the feedback. I did a search and didn't find quite what I was looking for. I'm considering my options for getting an M35 home. I would prefer to drive it rather than ship it. I just didn't know if driving it on the open road would cause a catastophic failure.

Josh

If your going to do lockers, Get ARB Air locker and I would put one in the front axle, and the rear-rear axle. They cost more up front, but will save you wear and tear on your entire drive train, and you can turn on em on only when needed,

Also I've done several 200+ mile trips in the deuce at 55. Seems to run stonger at 55 then 50. But each engine has its own little quirks,

USMC6062

A locker has no effect on straight line driving or high speeds. It would only be a problem if you were constantly turning. A locker ratchets while your coasting and locks when power is applied through the driveshaft. You will either be making the tires on one side drag/slide in the turn or the locker will ratchet. Either way that is wear and tear compared to an open differential. I have Detroit lockers front and rear in my bobbed deuce and it drives completely normal. The only thing it takes getting used to is the slack built into a locker. Once installed you can turn the driveshaft up to a 1/3 of a turn of free movement. You have to be a little more carefull not to slam power to the drive train by letting the clutch out too quick. I plan on eventually putting lockers in all three axles on my stock deuce if I still own it down the road. The cheapest place to buy 2.5 ton lockers is from Randys Ring and Pinion, he has them for $389, but they are Yukon brand, so I don't know if they are better or worse than Detroit. Good luck.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are getting a Clark Truck refurbished deuce (your avatar pic), It will make a 2000 mile run, just as said before keep it below 2500 rpms.
I have seen what CTP does in there process, many others would claim it to be restored if they did that much work to them.

greenjeepster

I don't see lockers giving you any more advantage in winter driving that a set of Tire chains would not give you more cost efficiently. That is providing that chains are legal in your state.

I have never driven on snow/ice with lockers, but I would surmise that in a turn they would make the truck more prone to slide.

Gearbox

Thank you all for the responses. I am now confident that I can drive the M35 as far as I like as long as stay between 50-60 MPH.

Also thanks for the information on Clark Truck. I may have to vsit their shop and see what they offer. I used their picture in my Avatar, because I like the way it looks.

I'm going to have to think about the Detroit lockers and the ARB's. Both have their pro's and Con's. i guess that it comes down to personal preference.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run my trucks 55 and sometimes more on the hwy. Done a few trips at 59 for 1000 miles too. FWIW, I have 4 canned motors if one lets go, not everyone has that resource. A word (opinion) about lockers. I'm a fan of Detroits and would run them in my trucks if I had the jack. One thing to consider is if you start losing major traction with both rears locked, that arse of the truck will start walking sideways. If I were installing them, I would do the aft rear first, front axle second and intermediate axle last. I have no trouble pitching a deuce sideways but some lesser experienced folks may incur some additional pucker from it.

1stDeuce

Recovery4x4 makes a good point about lockers... If you're not comfortable with the tail walking sideways occasionally, they are NOT what you want for icy roads. If you were thinking deep snow, my experience says chaining up is way more effective, as NDT are just about useless on snow/ice, and if you want to negotiate rough terrain then they are the best mod you can make. Everything has it's place. :)

Another thing nobody mentioned but I'm sure you found in the search is that the top speed of a stock deuce is 56mph. Faster and you're overspeeding the engine, which isn't conducive to 2000 miles of driving. (Or even 200 sometimes...) The only way to make it go faster is larger tires. 11.00's will get it to 60 or so. You might get 65 out of 395's. I have 11.00's, and my deuce will finally cruise happily at 55mph, at about 2300 RPM. It'll hit 60, but it's wound right tight on the redline, and I don't like to run it like that.

C

Gearbox

Bear with me on this one... what does "NDT" stand for?

I do need for the duece to navigate through snow, both light and deep. I do like the idea of just one axle with a locker, maybe the far rear. That way the duece would be stable in light snow and ice conditions, then be able to plow through deep snow when required.

Is there a redline marked on the tach? How do I know what the redline is on an LDT465 turbo? I don't want to blow an engine due to ignorance. I'm comfortable cruising at 55-60mph all day long with the knowlegde that the duece will drive through any inclement/ off road situation that should arise.

I do appreciate the excellent feedback from all of you. Thank you.

glenn715

I forget what NDT(No **** Traction) stands for but if you are driving in snow, ice, slush, wet pavement alot I would get some different tires. If nothing else get your NDT's siped until you have money for different tires. If you are in snow all the time put chains on and leave them on until summer. My opinion on chains is that if I need to put them on I should be home by the fire.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NDT = Non Directional Tread (or: "no darn traction")

They are much better than their reputation; key is to adapt the inflation pressure to the ground you are driving on. Maxing them to 55/65 psi (depending on size) is great for the highway. On soft ground they need to be aired down and can handle 15 psi (on sand, for example). The difference is amazing. Where I live we have a lot of sandy ground. I almost got stuck in the "sucker position" (right three wheels off the road in the sand and the left three wheels on the gravel road) with the tires inflated. I did the same thing with the tires aired down and there was absolutely no spinning. Full traction all the way.

Last edited:

Gearbox

I forget what NDT(No **** Traction) stands for but if you are driving in snow, ice, slush, wet pavement alot I would get some different tires. If nothing else get your NDT's siped until you have money for different tires. If you are in snow all the time put chains on and leave them on until summer. My opinion on chains is that if I need to put them on I should be home by the fire.

;-) Nice.

I'll have to consider diffrent tires when those wear out.

Westech

CPL
You Nube's have not done your home work on the deuce engine have you. The Multi fuel engine is rated at 130 (ish) CONSTANT HP! That means it is rated and made to run at WOT and full load for the life of the engine. In the 2007 East cost convoy I ran from Wisconsin to 200 miles out side of Baltimore MD non stop and 2900 RPM. The engine is made to run at WOT guys.. your probably doing more stress and damaged to the engine lugging it around at 2000 RPM. They most likely toss rods due to lack of oil, wrong oil, High engine RPM before reaching operating temperature and not letting it idle for 5 minutes to cool the turbo and internal engine parts. Yes its due operator error. I worked my deuce HARD and never ever had a engine problem. The best thing to do is keep oil clean and full, let it warm up and cool down before shutting it down.
#2 as far as lockers go.... I have a M813 with dual lockers in the rear.. she gets kinda "chirpy" when turning. Other then that she is great. If you are going to spend a lot of time on hard ball and with dual lockers match tires! make sure there the same size around. Not just the same size stamped on the tire. Crane truck has done a great wright up on this. and I hope he chimes in or someone can find the link.

rmgill

I have made the trip from Atlanta to PA and back twice now in my deuce. I singled it out and added a second fuel tank to increase speed and range. I run at 55mph and I've started doing engine oil analysis to keep an eye on bearing metal. No problems yet.

A muffler helps the cab from being quite so noisy too.

Gearbox

You Nube's have not done your home work on the deuce engine have you. The Multi fuel engine is rated at 130 (ish) CONSTANT HP! That means it is rated and made to run at WOT and full load for the life of the engine. In the 2007 East cost convoy I ran from Wisconsin to 200 miles out side of Baltimore MD non stop and 2900 RPM. The engine is made to run at WOT guys.. your probably doing more stress and damaged to the engine lugging it around at 2000 RPM. They most likely toss rods due to lack of oil, wrong oil, High engine RPM before reaching operating temperature and not letting it idle for 5 minutes to cool the turbo and internal engine parts. Yes its due operator error. I worked my deuce HARD and never ever had a engine problem. The best thing to do is keep oil clean and full, let it warm up and cool down before shutting it down.
#2 as far as lockers go.... I have a M813 with dual lockers in the rear.. she gets kinda "chirpy" when turning. Other then that she is great. If you are going to spend a lot of time on hard ball and with dual lockers match tires! make sure there the same size around. Not just the same size stamped on the tire. Crane truck has done a great wright up on this. and I hope he chimes in or someone can find the link.
Now that's what I'm talking about :drool: