• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce 302 to Allison 545

RonsHotRodShop

I have a 302 GMC out of a 2.5 Deuce Korea Era and want to use for a Hot Rod Pick up 57 GMC/Chevy truck I also have a 366/545 Allison I noticed the bell housing on the Allison looks like it will bolt up to the 302 GMC Military the 366 has an adapter housing about 3" deep will I need a 3" adapter housing and will the flywheel from the 366 fit the 302 ? will a SBC fuel pump work if I knock out the cover for the mechanical fuel pump or does the 302 Have a specific fuel pump different from SBC or BBC and will a double row roller timing set work from a SBC ?

Last edited:

HanksDeuce

I don't have an answer to any of your questions, but I do have some potentially helpful insight on the output side of the Allison AT545.

In the first picture below you can see the factory Deuce middle driveshaft that fits between the Spicer 3053A transmission output flange and transfer case input flange. The Allison AT545 output flange was replaced with a flat faced companion flange. I bought the 4-1-4501X companion flange from DriveTrain America 888-DTA-AXLE. $200 + shipping. Using the companion flange removed almost 3 inches of clearance allowing me to push the Cummins 12 valve engine + AT545 further back in the engine bay of my bobbed deuce.

Also, here's a link on how I converted my AT545 to a deep filter kit for the 5.3" pan:
http://hanksdeuce.com/allison_internal_filter.htm

Attachments

painter paul

I once thought about replacing a M35A3 trans with an AT545 from a school bus that had a 366 engine. Allison wanted $6250 to rebuild the original. However I found out that the AT 545 never would have shifted up since the 366 revved much higher than the Cat diesel in the M35A3. I found a used M35A3 trans and installed it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

RonsHotRodShop

I am not useing in a 2.5 T truck plan to use in a 56 Pickup are you saying the 545 will need higher rev to shift ? I plan to rebuild and lighten by dropping the 24V gen and air comp... then ude more modern stuff and the CAM will go witgh a roller set up and better lift duration and lobe separation to gain higher MAX RPM so I plan to have the engine spin up to at least 4250 RPM

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks