• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce/5 Ton Interchangeability

Rebelpride

I have a 5 ton dump that I bought before I deployed. My dad says that he doesn't think that it will start and that I should part it out, but I am not giving up hope yet as I have not even seen it in person. But my question is: If I cannot get it to run could I take the dump bed and lift assembly and mount it to a deuce frame without any issues. Also is it possible to mount a 5 ton fifth wheel to a deuce frame without problems?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the 5th wheel will not be a big deal, the dump will mount BUT I would look at the WEIGHT

mckeeranger

I'm going to assume you mean an M817 dump.
The dump bed assembly weighs about 3600# empty. It would be like driving around loaded all the time.

With a standard payload of only 5000#, that would mean you could only carry 1400# of stuff.

The dump bed assembly also raises the center of gravity, so body roll would be more of an issue with the deuce springs.

The fifth wheel hitch seems like it would be pretty simple, as long as you didn't try to tow too much trailer, or load. The deuce tractor, M275A2, has a payload of 17000#.

Edit: On second thought, I forgot to remove the weight of the deuce bed, about 1300#+/-, I think? You would have a payload capacity of 2700# for stuff.

Last edited:

KsM715

The dump bed will fit but the PTO drive for the pump is on the wrong side of the trans. You'll have to come up with an alternate way to power the pump. Ive seen one done with using a small gas engine mounted behind the cab to power the pump.

41cl8m5

The 2 1/2 ton is for offroad. My data plate basicly says on road is double. I thought the same was true fro the 5tons, so on road would be 10 tons. Am I wrong?

mckeeranger

but the capacity of the deuce on road is a very conservative 10,000 lbs. i don't follow your math?

tom
You're right. I was stuck in "deuce and a half" meaning 2 1/2 ton thinking.
2 1/2 ton is cross country, 5 ton on road.

The payload capacities appear to be the same for the M342A2, which is the M44 version of a dump, and the M35A2.

I don't know if the M342A2 dump bed is the same as the M817 (other than the pto difference) but if it is, and the M342A2 chassis is the same as the M35A2, then I guess there is no real reason the OP can't put the dump bed on his deuce. The PTO problem shouldn't be that hard to overcome. The hardest part would be finding the PTO, for the deuce transmission, that has the front and rear output shafts.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
unless i'm wrong, the deuce PTO can be mounted with the shaft either way.
I think you're wrong. I tried to "flip" the output on a PTO and came to the conclusion that it can't be done. I tore the sucker apart and put it back together several times and even tried to use some parts out of a 5-ton PTO. It looks like it will work on paper but in the end it won't work. With the right combination of 2.5 ton and 5-ton PTO parts you can get it put together coming out the rear but the output shaft is almost right against the master cylinder bracket (no way to attach any sort of driveshaft).

Rebelpride

Well the original game plan is to get the 817 running and driving. I have not seen it in person since I bought and am just going off of what my dad has told me. The engine looks complete, the body has some cosmetic damage, and the interior needs seats and a light switch and it is missing the pto.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks