• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce / 6x6 learning....

parkland

Hello,

I know little about military vehicles, but am thinking of buying one.
The 6x6 trucks seem like a real bargain.

I see there are a bunch on ebay for sale, for around 10,000$...
What should I look for?

I like the single rear wheel setup some have. 6 tires is better than 10 when I have to replace them one day haha/.

pad_cdr

You might be better off looking in the classified section on this site than on ebay. Not sure which vehicle you are looking at, but $10k is high for many of them.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Eh?

Welcome to Steel Soldiers and the Jolly Green Giant forum. Tell us a little more about what you might use your new deuce for. Be patient and if you decide 'it's the right thing to do', you'll know which deuce to buy the second you see it. Many others have imported and found it easy. They also have big credit cards. I bought an old deuce locally and re-built it so everything depends on what you plan to do.

You found the correct site to learn. It's good to be prepared when the green Deuce starts diggin' in your pocket book. Research and keep re searching.
Having access to mechanics, money for parts and a big fuel tank, registration, insurance, big tools, a shop, parking place, 6 ton jack stands, heavy floor jacks, a place to drain oil, some floor dry, a creeper, fast orange and a fridge is a start.

It's a good idea to read through all the forums but the safety forum gives up a taste of reality on the responsibilities....and liabilities of deuce ownership. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/forumdisplay.php?72-Safety

Shop it out, tell us what you're thinking and remember.......ya get what ya pay for!

parkland

Thanks guys.
I have an f350 6.4L diesel right now, and I was thinking of the deuce for sort of an extra vehicle, sort of sunday drive it once in a while, maybe pull some stuff once in a while, maybe even fit a plow to it eventually.

I was looking at 5 ton internationals with 4x4, but they are super expensive for the amount I'd use it, and all electronic stuff, and you can't find one in decent condition for under 20,000$.

My wife has an SUV (bleugh!), and I also picked up a caprice classic 1996 car, just for in town grocery getting... instead of running my diesel truck, so a deuce would just be for heavy work or like I said, sunday cruising. haha.

Basically, it would probably sit in the yard lots, and I would air spray oil on it at least once a year to try to keep rust away.

When were these vehicles last built?
The year on them is usually the rebuild date, not the original build date, right?

Diecorpse

Depends on the model for the year. They were discontinued in the nineties. The other dates listed that have the mwo means the year they were overhauled in the military. Like others said, do a lot of searchin, many different models. Some have manuals, others have automatic trans as well as motors. I seen mine at a surplus store and I checked it out a few times. . . until I test drove it, I fell in love!! Lol. I preffered the dual tires on the tandem, the manual trans, and the multi fuel over the cat diesel. I got mine in MI less than four grand and all she needed was a paint job. Just be patient and the right one will come to you. If you have any questions, we're all here to help. :)

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are 40 year old trucks. Read my signature in that regard. Also, while plentyful in the US, they are rare as hen's teeth in Canada. Think parts supply. Yes, some parts are NAPA stock, but not the one that you need, right now. All things to consider.
If you want, we can talk import to Canada. Done that, been there, got the..., well, truck.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
10K is a pile of money for a Deuce, for that price it had better be REAL NICE inside and out not to mention complete in every way including winch! Importing into Canada? I am sure its been done but I also bet its not free, that also needs to be figured into your budget. Great trucks very reliable as long as they are maintained, NO different than anything else! Good luck and please keep us informed on your progress!
KK

parkland

I preffered the dual tires on the tandem, the manual trans, and the multi fuel over the cat diesel. :)

I think I like the super singles, but thats me.

Lots have the 8.3 cummins... How does that compare to the multifuel continental or whatever it is?

I assumed the 8.3 cummins might be easier to get parts?

rpwpyw

one thing to consider on # of wheels and tires is weight. On our deuce one wheel and tire weighs 176 #. It is my understanding that a super single weighs more than 2x that. Also if you have a flat on a rear tire while driving, you can limp on in safely.. With a super single you will stop where you are.

Scarecrow1

For 10,000 dollars all I can say is 5 TON . There isn't a Deuce out there I would pay that kind of money for unless it was just driven off the assembly line and moth balled the same day with the original warranty still valid ................

Diecorpse

I think I like the super singles, but thats me.

Lots have the 8.3 cummins... How does that compare to the multifuel continental or whatever it is?

I assumed the 8.3 cummins might be easier to get parts?
I would look up the threads about the different motors. Do some browsing and you will find what your looking for. If you're looking to spend money upwards of four grand, I would check the classified section and see what you may be interested in. Most are priced for what they're worth and at least you can learn some info about the truck from the previous owner. Have you looked into the Bombardier?

TehTDK

Diecorpse, I am with you on the manual transmission, the dually tandem and the MF engines. My dream engine for a Deuce is the 465-2 engine with 210 HP, and yes I know its not a native deuce engine, but I still like it.

brianp454

I like the manual transmission and flexibility of the multifuel (plus a great sound!). There's a part of me that would really like more power and perhaps better economy, yet I have not tweaked my IP yet. The 465-2 engine is a neat idea, if you can ever find one. I like super singles in concept, especially with run flats in them - if you get a flat you can keep going to spot to change it or make it all the way home! Singles also help with keeping the front from sinking in soft terrain because it always carries a heavy load. I think there's also an argument for better traction by moving away from NDT's and lower rolling resistance of radials. I think it's unfortunate that guys go as big as possible with 395/85R20's instead of 14.5's, 365/80's, or 365/85's. I have a set of 365/80R20's and look forward to mounting them. If you poke around there's another thread with weights on some differrent tired, including mine.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as wanting more power, most everyone does and large tires do not help in that regard. However, there were two primary reasons for the 395's on my truck. They were readily available (meaning reasonably priced including shipping costs) and they provide the most effective gear ratio improvement. We really don't have much mud around here (and I wouldn't like the cleanup afterward anyway) but we have lots of sand. Obviously, the largest footprint you can get helps immensely and I have not had problems with not having enough gear. I can also add that I have not experienced the balance problems, death wobble, wandering, etc. that others have talked about so maybe I am one of the lucky few. I do plan on a pyro to look at turning up the fuel but really, that is secondary to me as off-road is where this equipment really is in its element. FWIW.

TehTDK

Brianp454:

If I can't find a 465-2 then they are not that hard to replicate. Apparently there isn't a lot of difference between the 465-2 and the 465-1 or something like that. I cant remember it off the top of my head but the basic block and various othe componets are exactly the same.

And I think you are misunderstanding me slightly :p. I want to keep the dual tandem configuration, but I am certainly NOT going to keep the NDT tires. When I get a Deuce one of the first things to go will be those NDT tires and getting them replaced with modern and properly threaded tires rather then xx years old military tires with questionable handling characteristics. So basically keeping the 10 tire setup but replacing them with recent diagonals with a proper thread for both on and off road use.

Diecorpse

The Ndt tires seems to drive pretty good on my truck. I had no wobbles or strong vibrations driving on the highway. I don't recommend them in the snow, just touching the brakes you go sliding in any direction. I also noticed the front tires wore down quickly, though I did drive on pavement often. The only good thing about them is that they are cheap compared to other tires. I wouldn't mind putting some Michilins or Goodyear tires on mine in the future. I wonder if you can get some of those tires cheap in used condition from your local truck shop?

TehTDK

I wouldn't mind putting some Michilins or Goodyear tires on mine in the future. I wonder if you can get some of those tires cheap in used condition from your local truck shop?
Not sure used tires is such a commodity, at least used commercial tires. But I wager a guess and say that you might be able to buy rethreaded tires at a lower cost simple because the actual carcase of the tire is no longer new. I personally wouldn't trust a rethread tho....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks