• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce a/c project

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
these are all the pictures i took. none of lines or dryer, but that is relatively obvious. cab is not sealed or insulated yet and still much better than no a/c. sanden compressor and other parts from ebay. i can send you a tracing of the rear bracket, it is too big to scan.

tom

Attachments

runk

Tom,
Thanks for the pictures ! How did you run the belts - both belts around all 4, or different routing for each belt ? Any problems with the belts (slipping, wear, etc.) ? As I understand belt routing, it is ideal to have at least 120 degrees around each pulley in a v-belt setup, which isn't going to be possible with the compressor mounted above the alternator. I like your mounting idea the best of what I've seen so far, and expect to use a similar mount, so I would like to hear your experiences.

Thanks,

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
belt wear/tension is an issue, but i have only adjusted it twice in 1000 miles. it does need an idler on the back between the a/c and alt.

tom

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Tom, I have to say, I am really impressed with your ingenuity. It's such a simple and yet clever system. Inexpensive, effective, doesn't require hacking the truck up, etc. Really well thought out.

Now that I've suitably buttered you up, I have some questions.

new SD508 compressor, $155
new condenser, $90
new evaporator, $135
2 belts, $34
hose fittings, $17
OK, there are tons of cheap SD508's on ebay, I assume you are using a 24V clutch? The 24V units are far less common.

And so far as the condenser and evaporator, what do we search for? I hate to buy something generic, especially since R134 is so specific to having the condenser and evaporator sized correctly. Do you have sizes, model #'s, anything?

And is the fan in the evaporator box 24V as well?

Belts, fittings, hoses and the brackets (I may need a copy of your template) I can do. But I've gotta' know how to find the condenser and evaporator.

i have the template for the rear mount, the 2 others are just 1/4" by 1 1/4" cold rolled stock. the fan only clears the compresor shaft by 1/16"!! but anything is enough........
Considering there are a lot of clutches out there on the front of 508's, how do you know which one will clear? Do you have a part # or a spec? With my luck, I'll buy one with a clutch that sticks out 1/8" more than yours.

And I doubt trimming/clearancing fan blades would be a good idea.

Thanks in advance!

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
clinto and others, this is what i found today on ebay. search for 'new universal sanden style sd508', also 'universal underdash evaporator minibus' and 'universal condenser 14 x 24' the fitting size should work out right and the minibus evap is more btu than i used, but i would go with it next time. (22,220 btu versus 13,000)
i ran the whole thing on 12 volts since the evap is electronic and 12v

tom

andytk5

clinto and others, this is what i found today on ebay. search for 'new universal sanden style sd508', also 'universal underdash evaporator minibus' and 'universal condenser 14 x 24' the fitting size should work out right and the minibus evap is more btu than i used, but i would go with it next time. (22,220 btu versus 13,000)
i ran the whole thing on 12 volts since the evap is electronic and 12v

tom
M-35tom, can't thank you enough for posting up a thread about this. I am ordering my 508 compressor now. I was originally going with a "nostalgic air" kit but looks like this will be a better route.

Has anyone mounted the compressor above oron the other side of the engine? I was trying to go with alot of 12v stuff later and alread have an extra batt in the box as well as tmamerica bracket for the gm alternator. Good stuff!:beer:

Also any noticeable benefit to the $10 extra 709 7piston compressor over the 508 5piston compressor being the 709 is more output?

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i ended up with the minibus unit on the ceiling of the cab, 28 deg air! no cab insulation yet but it has enough cooling to overcome even that. also got a vanner 50 amp batt equalizer so no problems with batteries.
tom

andytk5

Wrecker - that is a good setup and price. I already ordered my compressor though.

Tom - i just ordered my 709 compressor, prob go with NAP underdash evap. Should be awesome!

andytk5

Last edited: