• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce-Adapted Cessna Fuel Shutoff Lock

SteveKuhn

Being in a metro area where the truck could be an attractive target for joyrides and mischief, I've been looking for a good theft deterant or combination. I settled on a combination. I haven't been impressed by the electric shutoffs I've seen because they seem ridiculously easy to beat and wanted more than the heavy steering wheel chain.

Last night, I finished trimming, fitting, and testing an aircraft fuel shutoff lock. That led to a question.

The 'shutoff' part of the fuel control travel seems to be on a spring. To shutdown, you need to pull into the resistance. For the fuel shutoff lock to work, the handle needed to be inside of (not necessarily at the end of) that resistance zone.

Hence the question for people more knowledgable than I about this setup: Is there a known downside to leaving that shutdown assembly 'pulled into' the resistance zone (spring overextended, some rule about having the fuel line in the flow zone, etc.)?

Thanks.

Attachments

rlwm211

It is possible that the shut off will stick in the off position and you will not be able to start the truck after a while. It is generally recommended to not leave the shutoff out when the vehcile is not in use,

Just my two cents.

RL

Capt.Marion

Most people only leave the fuel shutoff locked in the out position when they have to leave their truck parked in gear... as RLWM said, the shutoff can get stuck, but if you feel that it's necessary for your truck's safety, just be aware that it can get stuck in case it does, so you don't freak out if your truck won't start one day.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What happens when someone with half a brain gets the notion to cut the cutoff cable?

Just sayin'.

Personally, I have a battery disconnect and use the chain on the wheel when I need to "lock it down".

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The chain on the wheel is the best visable deterrent......but you can still crank and move the truck with it in place.

A determined thief will have a way to beat most systems........what is more common are the jugheads that think they have a right to joyride in someone elses vehicle.

With the price of scrap being high and the axles still being popular with the crawler crowd I can see them being stolen to be parted out for parts and scrap.

A locking cover over the battery switch and the chain are prob the first line against casual thieves.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FWIW I ALWAYS leave my fuel cutoff cable pulled out. 20 years of deuce ownership with nary a problem. Several folks have engineered block off covers for the cable. I think a combination of deterrents will do just fine. A determined thief is going to get your stuff, anyone else will get tired of chasing down a bunch of deterrents for just a joyride.

Capt.Marion

As patracy said, a hidden electrical cut-off switch is a MUST. Search for "Deuce Security," "securing the deuce," "deuce power switch," etc... to find many good threads about this.

Another tip:

Don't use the site search. Go to google.com, and type in this:

"search query site:steelsoldiers.com" (less the quotes).

Replace "search query" with whatever you want to search for, and Google will search SteelSoldiers for you. 110% more effective than the built-in search feature.

SteveKuhn

I'm running down the cutoff switch threads. Several look very good for my purposes.

Didn't know that Google syntax trick. Great for more than electrical cutoffs.

There's no way you'll beat the serious vehicle thieves in the NYC/Sopranos part of NJ. If they want it, they'll get it. Likewise, the amateurs are likely to vandalize what they can't move and there's no way to beat that either. They can cut the lock but pro will beat it and the vandal won't have a hacksaw.

I happen to live on a steep hill where I need to parallel park sometimes and my driveway pitch can roll start it. The fuel cutoff seems to have an unintended advantage.

I'm curious of the ratio between the truck failing to start because of the cutoff being pulled vs the number of people who do it regularly without difficulty. If you don't pull into the resistance, mine'll start.

Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks