• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce air ride seat conversion

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been looking at converting my spring seat to air-ride (converting the factory seat). I think I've got it figured out how to install an air bag in the place of the spring.

If I get this figured out and can make up a conversion kit to convert to air-ride, I've been thinking of maybe selling a few. The first thing I'm going to have to do is make up a prototype and see how much improvement it will be over the spring seat. If it all works out, I was wondering if there was much interest out there in this conversion. As of right now it looks as if the conversion will run around $400.

YTS Deuce

$400 will buy you a pretty nice used air ride seat out of a Freightliner. No doubt air ride on a stock deuce seat would help some, but it will still be a deuce seat. Terrible lumbar support, not much padding, limited on seat back angle, etc.

If you're looking for comfort but still wanting to keep the military look / style, I'd recommend swapping it out for an A3 seat. Much more comfortable.

PropDr

I defiantly agree that their is room for improvement with the stock springer seat but $400 sounds a tad steep. A progressive bottom out bump stop would really improve things for us big guys.

R Racing

Gimp has some awesome seats in his deuce ! and they give him more room . He aint no short fellow thats for sure .Must growem big in that part of ohio ! LOL

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was just throwing it out there. I thought $400 would be too high but I thought I post it and see. That's what I figure it would cost me by the time I bought the bag and made all the components to make it a bolt in project.

I think I'm still going to convert mine. I'll post up pics and how I did it so others can make the mod on their own if they like.

phil2968

I have a couple of air bags from another project that I may dig out and try in mine. Thanks for the idea m16ty!
Now for some memory foam for under my bum! That last trip back from Ga had me hurtin!

mikew

I looked into putting an airbag in a spring ride seat... then a friend pointed me towards air ride seats made by Bostrom Seating.

They make two basic sizes of seats; a "wide" seat with air bag lumbar support and a "narrow" one.

Both of the seats give you more room than either stock seat between the seat and the steering wheel and both are very comfortable. The narrow seat fits better when you have a stock passenger bench seat, the wide one rubs on the bench seat. I prefer the narrow seat, it feels like it holds you in place better.

Attached is a photo of a truck I built using the "narrow" seats.

And here's the secret; UPS uses these seats in their trucks.... and they're covered with olive green canvas!

You can find them at truck salvage yards for $200 to $400 dollars.

Attachments

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimp has some awesome seats in his deuce ! and they give him more room . He aint no short fellow thats for sure .Must growem big in that part of ohio ! LOL
Gimpy? Have you met Stretch?

NE Ohio is where they grow 'em tall.

:)

sw

usmc320

I looked into putting an airbag in a spring ride seat... then a friend pointed me towards air ride seats made by Bostrom Seating.

They make two basic sizes of seats; a "wide" seat with air bag lumbar support and a "narrow" one.

Both of the seats give you more room than either stock seat between the seat and the steering wheel and both are very comfortable. The narrow seat fits better when you have a stock passenger bench seat, the wide one rubs on the bench seat. I prefer the narrow seat, it feels like it holds you in place better.

Attached is a photo of a truck I built using the "narrow" seats.

And here's the secret; UPS uses these seats in their trucks.... and they're covered with olive green canvas!

Good info, mikew. Thanks.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Around here all UPS trucks and trailers have to be destroyed. The local scrap yard gets them in and not so much as a bolt can be removed. An inspector watches the destruction to make sure. They also cut the tires to where they can't be used (most of them near new).

UPS will give the government a run for it's money when it comes to waste.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks