• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce all painted [mostly]

F18hornetM

What kind of filler did you use. Were any holes filled without welding a patch and if so how did you fill them?
I have a deuce with lots of rust blisters that I know will be holes once I start sanding on them. I don't have a welder so was wondering what filler would do the job.

I used "cuz" body filler from Napa. No, any hole I found, i beat at it with a body hammer, until I found the edges of the good part. Then used cut off wheel on air tool and cut out a square. Then welded in new piece. Body filler does not do well filling a hole, unless about 1/4" or less. If I couldnt weld in a patch panel, iI think if I could get behind it, i would beat down rusty place, sorta dent down with a hammer, then clean all rust off back of metal and use fiberglass cloth there, then body fill the top side, or outward side. If you put the fiberglass cloth on the outside, your fill area will have to be huge to make it look right. Of course depends on where it is. I used body filler as sorta a skim coat, in a few places so as not to have to fill rust pits [not holes] with primer. they used to make a fiberglass stranded filler for filling small holes, I imagine they still do, back years ago it was called "long strand"
Its been about 25 years since I did body work and I'm sure there are others on here who know a better or more modern way.