• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce and CUCV from GA to CA (prices?)

So next year in June/July I am moving from Ft. Benning, GA to Las Vegas, NV. A friend of mine mentioned that instead of driving the deuce and towing the CUCV I might want to look into having it hauled/backhauled from here to there. (hauled to possibly Ventura, Ca, or Murrieta, CA instead of Vegas). What might be involved (height limits, etc.). And what might be the cost (approx.) of such an endeavor be it hauled from here as a back load (?) or as a primary load?
I just need info as I will not be moving til around June. Thanks for all the help.

Milage from here to those three places +/- 10 Mi
Las Vegas, NV 2,000
Murrieta, CA 2,152
Ventura, CA 2234

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Are you aware that the govenment will pay you to do a DITY (Do It Youreself) move.
Depending on rank you get a certain allowance to move based on weight.
You can load your household goods on the deuce (if they will fit) hook the CUCV to it and take off.
If you have another vehicle and someone to drive it you would have a chase/support vehicle along.
Post your route and itenerary on the site and you will have assistance all the way to your destination.
If you feel confident enough in your deuce and your ability to make the trip you would be making the money you would have to spend to get the vehicles moved.
Just my dos centavos worth.

Actually thats why I am asking. I am doing a DITY move (I've done a couple with the deuce) this one is substantially longer (2,000 Mi) and I want to make sure all the options and bases are covered/known/researched before the move itself. I am fairly confident that my deuce will make it, but having blown an engine a few years ago that is always on the back of my mind.

My weight allowance is 9,000 with my family and the 26ft Penske truck alone had about 12,000ish in it last time we moved.

Last time I moved I had the M105 in the back of the deuce (I had some E-track installed the length of the truck bed to strap it down to and it performed flawlessly) and towed the CUCV behind.

Last edited:

stampy

Load the trailer in the bed of the deuce then either trailer or towbar the CUCV. Just take a week or 2 to go across the country. Heck it would probably be a trip you would never forget. With all the time you have to plan you could talk up the members here and probably get the lowdown on great places to stop over. I would definitely post your route and try to have people near your route in case you have a problem. You also have time to completely go over your truck and change fluids/ filters/ any real worn parts before you have to leave. Just my 2c :-D