• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce and www.steelsoldiers.com on SurvivalBlog

ford

I have to agree with you stumps. I dislike hoarders and those that would literally do anything to survive and I too fear what some would do. For us in our small group, we are of the mindset of stocking up in case it gets bad but if someone outside of our group is in need, we would help them out. Give until it hurts is what we say.

And you are right...there are those that will hide in fear, there are some out there that actually would resort to looting, pillaging, and murder and there are those that won't stand for it.

Its a fun hobby but I truly hope that the only thing I ever have to prep for is a hurricane and not something more serious. In the end though I just want to enjoy my life and play with my toys :)

Scarecrow1

You know I was once very hard core about surviving the end of the world . so I did all the gathering and storing for the big one .Guns cases of ammo , MRE,s med kits including perscription meds I bought from friends who didn'y want or need them . I had most all the bases covered . Then I really started reading case studies on things like radiation sickness and the days after the attacks on japan In 1945 with atomic bombs still in their baby steps of growth . Their was no hope no preparing for what it would be like today.. Which one of them really could survive in their shoe box for 5 ,10 or twenty years .until the radiation dies out and what kind of life is it to watch everyone you care about and love die around you ..As it has been said there are worse things than dying . So I still fight the fight but in a diffrent way .First prepare your own soul and live life to the fullest every day .then kick the war mongers and haters out of power . learn to help your friends and neighbors live a better life by being the best friend you can be . And learn to except that there is a better way to live than killing anyone different than you . If the big one comes then you will not have failed as a person in the eyes of God . He has has already promised you ever lasting life , so what are you worried about anyway :grin:

Kohburn

Yes even in the "survivalist" communities there are fringes. There are those that distance themselves from the public perception of hoarding and looting by calling themselves "preppers". Basic boyscout mentality of always be prepared. And of course there is the opposing fringe of people who stock up on guns and ammo and say "what do i need food for? I'll just use my guns to get what I need".

Those are the ones that concern me, and I consider myself a prepper. I was in scouts growing up and I hate not being ready for any situation I come across. Be it a flat tire, the loss of a job, a hurricane or snow storm that takes out infrastructure, or much worse. I'm also a backpacker and a minimalist, so I am of the mindset that knowledge is the most important part of being prepared, with knowledge you need less stuff to be able to make it through bad times.

I doubt that anybody came out of the great depression without becoming what today would be called a prepper or survivalist.

Those who have read my writings on SS, probably have noticed that I choose my words fairly carefully, and deliberately.

When I used the word commandeer, I meant the colloquial definition which is to forcibly take possession of. When I used the word loot, I meant plunder or sack... what you see people do during every disaster.

In the course of my life's wanderings, I have met all sorts of people. Having attended numerous hamfests, gun shows, gun shoots, and MV shows, I have met a fair number of folks that live on the fringes of so-called polite society. [They say birds of a feather flock together, so what can that say about me?] Among them self proclaimed preppers, militia, wannabe anarchists, and wannabe revolutionaries.

All of them seem to have a culture that values being prepared. They follow that culture to varying degrees, of course.

I have met folks that think it will come down to tooth and nail, and so they sharpen their teeth, and nails to points (yes, they are out there!). I have met folks that think it will come down to a gun fight, and so they hoard guns and ammo in quantities that make the activities of the Branch Davidians seem like those of dabblers. I have met those that hoard food, and those that hoard MV's as well. I have even met a few that hoard BBQ propane tanks, but we won't go there.

In listening to all of the bravado these folks on the fringe spew, one common thread seems to always come out: I'll do anything it takes to survive. That anything, if explored, includes forcibly taking the possessions of others.

When push comes to shove, will they actually live up to their bravado? I suspect the majority will wet their pants, and hide under a rock somewhere quaking, but some will really do anything.

It is those that I am worried about.

-Chuck
I couldn't agree more. Just look at the crazy sports fans. You can go overboard in anything. :cookoo:

Welcome and post some pics of that deuce we know your going to get!:driver:
Welcome from another TX SS member. Isnt it nice to find out from this thread that others feel us Preppers are "looters" and "clowns?"

Last edited:

Preacherboy

I think something needs to be mentioned, calling anyone a "nut", "nutjob", "nutbag", "crazy", or "clown" because of their hobby or opinion on a public forum is not polite. I've not seen anyone here rip on someone for a way of life, religion, race, or creed like a couple on this thread have ripped on preppers. How would you feel if someone started calling you a "clown" because you happen to like _______ sport's team or you eat tuna fish sandwiches?

Looting is wrong, commandeering is wrong (whether it is a LEO or not); but with a deuce you will not even have to do any of that. If the gas station is out of diesel and gas just buy their tranny fluid, motor oil, or even their used motor oil! No need to loot. I plan and prepare so that I will not have to loot or scavange and I have a couple guns to stop people from doing the same to me.

lonegunman

So we have to defend the right of survivalists to be strange?:???:

I'm willing to bet a suprising number of folks here could manage a week or two with no utilities and be none the worse for wear. That being said, there is nothing that says anyone here or on the survivalist blog will make it twenty minutes into the next disaster. Owning a deuce does not mean you will survive anything, it means you own a deuce. It does not mean you will still have a deuce five minutes into the next disaster.

I happen to think it would make something like the movie "Zombieland" a heck of a lot of fun. I'd paint a big "3" on the doors and go on a road trip. "Kill of the week" baby. [thumbzup]

dragonwagon

My version of " stocked up " . First ill explain why , we live in an area where power outage is fairly common . Winter storms or high winds will take out power for a week plus some times .

Freezer full of meat .
Canned goods , the wife cans veggies and so on .
Generator we light up our own place with .
Vehicles are full rather then empty on gas .
Snowmobiles in case of a blizzard ( been a few years since we had one )

In case of some larger unnatural thing i will depend more on my woods skills . I can hunt fish , know how to grow a crop , trap an so on .

It is my thought that in the end you can not put away enough supplies , it will depend on your knowledge and your ablity to adapt to a new world . Honestly i do not think such a thing will occure im my life time .

stumps

I easily am "stocked up" to that degree. I keep fuel for the cars, and generator...usually. Clean water to drink and cook, sort of clean water to flush the toilets, a pantry full of food of all sorts, a freezer full of the rest... I have all manner of clothing and temporary shelters, I keep tools to fix my machines, and machines to make machines and tools, and way more than I can think of, or feel the need to mention on this forum...

But what I don't do is think my tendency to be handy, and to keep some supplies on hand defines me. I am not a prepper, or survivalist, but I am prepared, and I will survive.

I am always curious about (puzzled by?) those whose entire lives are defined by one activity, whether it be prepper, golfer, 4 wheeler, survivalist, hunter... I prefer people that are multidimensional in their interests and abilities.

-Chuck