• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce articulation

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Browsed through my saved pictures and found these images.
Sorry, don't know the man, but they were posted on the mil-veh list some time last year.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These trucks are an engineering masterpiece. Hard to believe this is late 1940s technology. Pic of both of my trucks at Gravelrama in 2003 showing a slight amount of articulation.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can explain that one! I had been wanting to take the cargo truck up there to the races for several years. We camp right in the club owned gravel pit where the races have been held since 1971. Our little camp site has been set up with a GP Medium tent for years and I thought it appropriate to bring a deuce. Well in 2003 I finally convinced my wife that the these trucks are roadworthy after driving the tractor home from MD. Well, the truth of the matter is I finally got over the fear of travelling great distance in a deuce. I wanted to take the cargo since it would be better suited for the events and parade but didn't want to leave the tractor behind. The tractor runs so good, I actually prefer driving it over the cargo. So I hatched a plan to fabricate the piggyback device and take both. I figured that I would have a spare everything by taking both trucks and in a worst case scenario, I could always use the towbar if I needed to tow the tractor. The plan was hatched and presented to my friends in OH. One of them loves the cargo truck so I told him if I pulled it off, he would be responsible for it for the week. My wife questioned my idea but bought in quickly when I pointed out having an extra truck in an emergency. I finished the piggyback device late Friday night at a friends shop in Ft Lauderdale. Loaded the cargo and drug it the hour home. 5 minutes from the shop I tore the inner axle drive shaft out of the truck from the driveline angle. Removed the remains and went home. Luckily had a spare shaft and when I got home I tossed it in the truck. Spent most of saturday loading and wiring lights. Finished up, took a nap and left the house about 1830hrs. Drove until about 2330 hrs and stopped in Wildwood FL for the night. Curled up on the seat and snoozed. Got underway Sunday morn about 0730 hrs and drove all the way to Kingsport TN to meet up with George Baker and make a swap. Got to his place around 2300 hrs. Took care of business and got underway again. I wanted to get over Jellico mountain at night but couldn't make it and had to crash for the night at a rest area. Got back under way about 0700 and made it the next 5 hrs arriving in Cleves just before 1300. I never told my buddies in OH that I had completed the piggyback device. When I got there I called my buddy JW and teased him telling him that I only brought one truck. He was pleased to find his own M35A2 there for his use whe he arrived. Overall I learned a bunch about my trucks and travelling in them. Since that trip I can deuce it anywhere. Went 2568 miles without an incident and wouldn't ya know, when I backed the trucks in the driveway, I hit a tree with the cargo and bent the tailgate. The trucks were a big hit and the theme for the race was Support our Troops so they fit in well. Even carried the Grand Marshall in the parade (actually, JW did using the cargo). Had a blast convoying all over the place even though it was just 2 trucks. For those in the OH, KY IN area, I'm planning a return to the races with trucks in 2006. If the pipeline is done, it will get piggybacked. If not, I'm taking the expandible trailer. I've got a friend in Naples FL and he's talking about driving up too. If I can get him to float the cost of extra fuel, we'll drive both trucks if they're done. Yes, it was that much fun and worth the cost of fuel.
How's that for a simpe answer?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was screwing around on the Streets and Trips program last night at work and figured that my travels that August day from Wildwood FL to Kingsport TN and partway back to Knoxville was around 725 miles. Most of you probably think I'm crazy but that was a great day. When I finally got to my destinaton and off loaded the cargo, I was right back on the road another hour to visit my brother. Now, if you think I'm bad, when we returned home from Aberdeen, Jonathan (the 3 yr old who went with me) wanted to go to Burger King. Now we just did 1100 miles in 2 days in the deuce, guess what truck he wanted to go in? Of course, the deuce! He's a model child for the MV collector.

Desert Rat

Kenny,
I know what you mean. Nick is the same way. He's always wanting to go in the "Daddy Truck". He likes sitting tall in the seat too. He can see more and loves the girls looking at him in the truck. After I got here with 'Storm he wanted a big ride, no matter it was hot, a tire was flat and I was worn out. He had to have his ride in the "Daddy Truck". I was happy to do so. He giggled so loud I could clearly hear him over the truck noise. He made Daddy proud!