• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce as a donor?

DavidWymore

Say I wanted a deuce that had a/c, more power, and was quiet and comfy and stuff. Why not get a 2wd F-550 or so and stick the deuce t-case and axles under it?

Kinda like this. I don't quite like how this looks though. The NDTs are old school and the body style is too modern. Think it would be better with 395s.

eldgenb

I would think it would be better to do a body swap onto a complete deuce drive train personally. That way you also have the strength and all you need is the cab and engine accessories.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Our old buddy Gilbert has a deuce for sale. It has AC and enough power to pull an 18,000lb dozer. Want his #?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have a 1960 International (Cornbinder) crew cab pickup body. International called it a "Travelette", basically a Travelall with the end cut off.
I plan to put it on a bobbed deuce frame and have a crew cab deuce.

Since I am only using the body I should be able to add power steering and AC and my plan is to make the body able to raise and lower for easy access to the engine/tranny.

Should make for an interesting "what if" vehicle.

DavidWymore

Wreckerman, sounds real cool.

Gimpy, I was thinking more along the lines of something that was new, clean, comfortable, quiet, modern conveniences, like someone might use everyday for a business in situations where traction and flotation was an issue. I know in Florida and other swampy places, they need to get around to inspect/repair pipelines, etc.

Dueces are COOL, don't get me wrong, but I don't think I'd wanna work out of one day in and day out if I had the option of a "modern" truck with deuce beef underneath.

DavidWymore

...and I wouldn't be cutting up a good deuce if I was to do it either. The other day I saw one on GL that had the engine disassembled in the bed.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I would shop for an ex utility truck with AWD. Lots of them in FL. Transplant axles and transfer from that would make a more modern ride.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Say I wanted a deuce that had a/c, more power, and was quiet and comfy and stuff. Why not get a 2wd F-550 or so and stick the deuce t-case and axles under it?
That's a great project idea. Looking at the pic, I'd consider loosing one of the rear axles. Looks like too much gear for the carry capacity.

You could buy a 2wd F-550 and fit the axles with a new suspension made from coil springs and links. Fit the divorced transfer case with new cross members and build some new drive shafts and it's ready!

What do those F-550's fetch these days? Come to think of it, I don't think you need any more than a 1 ton frame???

Rick

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even if they are going for $20k I would make me look hard at the affordable 1 tons to see if you can work with one of them.

You thinking extra cab or double cab?

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks