• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce at Camp Dodge

Strykerboy

i'll be going this Wednesday or next hopefully depending on EUC of course....-$ in the bank to make the drive and what not allso need to know if there are good loading docks near by so i can put my car in the back of my duce for the ride home

chvss65

dont know if you can use them, but base has semi deck height dock right across street, ask Sgt Burkenholz when you call for pickup, he is the military contact for GL there, GL will give you his cell number
remember to drop the tailgate all the way as tail gate chains may give way, under that weight, just a reminder :wink:

Strykerboy

Well im gona show up in my uniform, as i am also a sergeant in the 101st airborne . I can wait to meet Sgt Burkenholz and shoot the proverbial **** with him lol I hope he's cool like you all say he is i don't want to have to pay for fuel times two ya' know loading the extra vehicle into the back of duce would make my bank account happier . :-D
Thank you for all the great info!:-D:-D

NEIOWA

Has anyone picked up a deuce from camp dodge IA? What kind of condition are the trucks in? How are the GL guys to work with? Thanks For your help.
Iowa NG takes very good care of their equipment. Little used much maintained. State built inside storage in the 90s for most vehicles (duce and smaller) belonging to units.

cornrichard

I picked up truck #7541 today and big surprise it was parked next to #7540. I did a quick walk around on 7540. Tires all decent, spare brand new. The lights were all still there. I turned on the big switch and the batteries were looking good on the meter. The buzzer worked fine. I did not try to start as unit did not belong to me. There is a half tank of fuel in it and it does not stink. The hard top has a big hole cut in it for a ring mount. Uncle Sam's finest have sealed it with some type of black rubber stuff. Camp Dodge has stepped it up a notch by padlocking the tool boxes. I had to cut the lock off mine when I got home. I had a bottle jack, first aid kit, plastic road triangles, and all the lug wrench stuff. I drove home, 4 hours, without a problem. I do have something leaking from the passenger front wheel. I did not see any wet spots on 7540's tires. Good Luck

1qwkgoat

I won lot 7586. I'm waiting on my EUC right now. If anybody is there and could take a look at it I would appreciate it. I'm having a transport company haul it back. My mom has cancer and is going through chemo right now so I can't use any of my vacation time from work to pick it up. So if anybody might be around to possibly help in the loading I would grealty appreciate that.

1qwkgoat

My transport guy will be picking mine up at 8:00am on the 30th. I wish I could go do the recovery myself, but I just venture that far from home right now, or take the days off work.

Orionspath

Recon

Have not yet figured out when I was going to pick it up.
Ask one of the guys going early on to check it out for you......they might be able to do a quick check on the batteries, coolant level, oil and brake fluid levels. Checking for running lights, head lights, turn signals, fuel level, and if they can get it started, check to see oil pressure, charging status, air compressor (working for brakes) operation.....etc.
If you can get one of these guys going into Dodge to pull a recon for you, it will certainly prepare you for what you may need to bring so that you can get
"THE HECK OUTTTA DODGE IN A HURRY".

If nothing else, a sitrep will certainly take a liitle of the anxiety out of the waiting for you. Wish I was closer......I pull a little mission to see what's available myself.......Good luck and don't forget to bring a fire extinguisher and safety Triangles should you need them. Fact is, everytime I've taken something like a tow bar, turns out it isn't needed afterall.

One other thing of note: call the Sargeant in Charge and verify the sale, lot and inventory numbers are correct. I was picking up two dueces in Richmond last summer and it turns out that the actual inventory I purchased turned out to be a beaten M818 w/out w and an M1009 in unknown running condition. I wound up having to submit a claim to have my money returned.....A real let down......

On the other hand, there is absolutely nothing like the feeling of a successful recovery. And speaking from recent experience, a 5 hour ride in a sweet running truck is a joy. Bring hearing protection. A headset with an am/fm tuner helps (though you might want to check local driving laws prior to) LE doesn't pay much attention to a mil vehicle on our highways in Va, Md, or De.

Enjoy.....

sarge_3ad

I live maybe 60 miles south of Camp Dodge. I'm waiting on my EUC for a M105 trailer then I'll be heading up to pick up my trailer. I could probably help those out who need short term storage or whatever, but just wanted you to know that I usually don't go to Des Moines unless I have to. Let me know what I can do for you all, and I'll do my best for you guys.

Sarge

Bobert

If anybody gets there and finds out you need a tow bar, I can sell you one :-D.

We bought a couple things out of there in the past few years. If you talk to the guy, He can tell you which ones are the good ones. Some had been towed in, not driven onto lot as GL said.

Last edited:

dittle

Just keep in mind guys that they have tightened up quite a bit there at Camp Dodge in terms of letting people around the trucks that are not theirs due to some thefts. You may or may not be allowed to do a preview of someone else's truck, depends on how Sgt. Birkenholtz's day has been going.