• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce ate a valve seat

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Patracy, I do understand your point of view: lonely Soldier A, always too busy....long fight, man vs. machine; man lost.... = frustrating experience, at least! (= :mad:)

Still, I would have pulled the heads before throwing the towel; maybe it's just headgaskets? ... eventually do a valve job & resurface...? Even completely replace a head, if in doubt...?

OK, that's just me, in a country where these (used) engines can be imported legally, yes... with a special permit from the local DOT, yes... costing $5000 or more, after taxes and all, yes... (and then you still need another crankshaft, yes... after discovering that the one that came in that nice LDS465-1A was in two pieces, no... YES....! aua)

Let's hope you can find a sound 5ton MF engine, soon!:)

G.
I've already tossed $750 or more into that engine. Its latest failure put me over the edge with it. I could tear it down, pull the heads, have them reworked for ~$300 at least, then pay $150 for gaskets, and honestly had more time in it. Or I could just pull the engine (which I did in 2hrs) and swap it for a $300 unit. I did have about 8 hours into the install since I had to swap the IP, Turbo, and starter. I honestly did a cost analysis and came to the conclusion that I'd be in the used engine for less than only planning for a head job and gasket swap. Who knows if the heads are cracked and what other parts would have to be replaced.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks