• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Battery Options?

stumps

Had any issues arise from your dogbone being bent at such an angle? I had to bend the dogbone to get the Optima's in Clinto g/f's truck and I didn't like it. I have considered makign a shorter dogbone for the trucks we have w/ Optimas.
In spite of teachers using water, and water pressure as a way of explaining electrical resistance, current, and voltage, the dogbone's wires are NOT like a water hose. Kinking the wire won't affect the electric current flow at all.

Bend the dogbone any way you want. It doesn't care.

-Chuck

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
In spite of teachers using water, and water pressure as a way of explaining electrical resistance, current, and voltage, the dogbone's wires are NOT like a water hose. Kinking the wire won't affect the electric current flow at all.

-Chuck
Thanks-I wasn't so much worried about the current as I was worried about a connection breaking eventually.

stumps

Thanks-I wasn't so much worried about the current as I was worried about a connection breaking eventually.
As long as your bend stays bent when you remove the dogbone, there should actually be less stress on the terminals and connections.

-Chuck

blacktop_one

Academy Sporting Goods has starting 1000 mca batteries (800 cca) for $60 each. They are not real big, but they might work if it doesn't get very cold where you live.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ive inquired on SS and all the responses came back as POST terminals. I just picked up my deuce and it had 6TL's that I changed out to 31 series batts and they were post. You can look for the stud to post adaptor, but it is not as common as you think.

If you change out batteries from 6TL's to another size/type, grab a new battery cable 24" long and another battery connector. Seems the jumper from battery to battery is not long enough. Dont ask me how I know that.. :oops:

number9

So I got "blem" post group 31 batteries on the way to see the truck. These batteries are too long to fit in the box verticall (looking down at the box) and the cables are too short to work if I turn the batteries horizontally. Can someone with group 31 batts post a pic of how youhave them in the box? Did you have to replace the original cables?

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If 6TLs came out, the 31's will fit. Vertical, right in the middle. Add 2x4s to brace on each side. there should be enough slack on the truck cables to hook up and you have to turn the terminals to clear the sides of the box. 24v arcing is NOT fun!! Pls be careful.

Blood_of_Tyrants

-Chuck
Up to a point, you are correct. I have seen fires started from a kinked three wire cable to an electric stove. If bending it makes things go funky then the problem is most likely attributed to a poor crimp on the terminal.

Could someone post the size of a deuce's battery box. I've used the search function, no results. I'm looking into making a platform to hold my new batteries, with tiedowns included, and rope handles to transport the platform.

wvhillbilly

acceptable substitute battery

My advice: Use a BCI group 24 battery w/a CCA of around 650. I know that is less than a CCA rating on a 6TL. But in your situation, who cares?? The starter on your truck only pulls 950 amps at maximum resistance(which is measured at 0 degrees F. at 10 seconds load). May I suggest a reputable battery such as Deka, ACDelco, etc. Avoid Retailer brands as they use recycled acid that does not maintain the specific gravity necessary for periods of storage. In effect, they will discharge at a faster rate than a premium battery whicj uses virgin acid. You should be able to purchase (2) UL 24 Deka batteries for about $150.00 . The warranty should be 84 months total. The first 36 months is free replacement, with the warranty being prorated after that. Jeff Hill, Manager of Fisher Auto Parts, Lewisburg, WV 24901:-D

P.S. Deka batteries have been used by state/federal gov't agencies for years
because of their value. They have been used by the state of WV gov't agencies AT LEAST since my Dad went to work for them in 1984. They are a great battery....;-)

stumps

Up to a point, you are correct. I have seen fires started from a kinked three wire cable to an electric stove. If bending it makes things go funky then the problem is most likely attributed to a poor crimp on the terminal.
That is more than a slightly different situation. The 3 wire cable on an electric stove has both sides of the circuit passing through it. If you kink it tightly enough, you can damage the insulation and cause a short circuit.

The dogbone cable on a deuce has only one side of the circuit. It would be fine even if the insulation was stripped clean off of it.

Apples and oranges.

-Chuck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks