• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Bed Handling/Lifting

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a deuce bed to mount, I lifted it off the trailer, or tried to! I lifted from the center and I had the front of the bed three feet off the ground and the tailgate end was still on the ground! Since I am doing this alone getting on and off the 936 in 100 degree weather in a really confined work area is a pain. Anyone have a good place to position the hook, I am now over the center bow, I guess I will move back one bow to see if it will balance better?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Does it have the cargo tie downs? If so, one chain running from the front side hook to the rear side hook and vice versa. If not, you can put the hook in the stake pocket, but in doing this, it will occasionally rip the sheetmetal. Just isn't designed for that.

2015-07-18 14.37.46.jpg2015-07-18 14.37.13.jpg

here's another way of doing it

20140914_172449.jpg20140914_172600.jpg

or another

IMAG1112.jpgIMAG1113.jpg

or another

IMAG0861.jpgIMAG0862.jpg

or another

IMAG0933.jpgIMAG0934.jpg

or another

IMAG1154.jpg

or another

IMAG1132 [800x600].jpgIMAG1135 [800x600].jpg

or another

IMAG1300.jpgIMAG1301.jpg

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you have the bomb tie downs in the side of the bed, use those. We've move lots of beds that way.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No tie downs in the bed, and it already has a ton of drilled holes in the bed, I don't know what for? The guy I bought it from bobbed deuces for about 10 years. He said this was the strangest deuce he had purchased from GL. He said the troop seats were mounted on the side rails facing outward and there were odd attachments bolted to the truck bed? I am going to change the lifting point and see if my son can come over to help out with the actual mounting.

rustystud

No tie downs in the bed, and it already has a ton of drilled holes in the bed, I don't know what for? The guy I bought it from bobbed deuces for about 10 years. He said this was the strangest deuce he had purchased from GL. He said the troop seats were mounted on the side rails facing outward and there were odd attachments bolted to the truck bed? I am going to change the lifting point and see if my son can come over to help out with the actual mounting.
Maybe it had the center seats the Marines used.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up an adjustable lifting beam from GL Wed. I am going to try it tomorrow, it is rated at 5 tons so its good there I just don't know how much it can compensate for?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Shorten the heavy end chains, you may need to lengthen the light end chains

tobyS

I have an A frame just no hard surface to use it on yet! When it is hot and tick infested friends can be scarce!
I'm working in similar conditions because of putting into land and house, thinking "buildings" would come later. Later is here and building(s) (a shop)... are not.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The last Deuce bed I lifted with the backhoe was rigged up by my rigger, Gimpy. So I don''t know how he did it. I just know I picked it up and put it on cw3topher's 818.

As for ticks, this is the first time I have had a tick on me in about about 45 years. I'm sure I got the thing over behind the old barn. :-(

tobyS

The last Deuce bed I lifted with the backhoe was rigged up by my rigger, Gimpy. So I don''t know how he did it. I just know I picked it up and put it on cw3topher's 818.

As for ticks, this is the first time I have had a tick on me in about about 45 years. I'm sure I got the thing over behind the old barn. :-(
Deer ticks are common in my area...so are deer and sumac trees, which they like. I think they get worse, the further north. Michigan is legendary for them and mosquito's.

I would use my boomtruck but I've broken a line or fitting in the boom extension line or cylinder and haven't fixed it yet. With the tall boom, I can safely turn the bed up on the side to do underside refinish.

Unfortunately my A3 truck was used in areas with sand and salted road, so needs some rust stopped. I'm debating putting a lift to make it dump and going to 4 x 4, but because of the rust under paint, will at least remove the bed to refinish the frame and suspension.

Put it on 818? You put it on a tractor? Is that now a removable bed, attached to the fifth wheel?

Attachments

Last edited:

MG2936

Yes, I bolted a 3/8 inch thick extension plate an extra 9 inches long on one end, set a 9 inch piece of I beam on it and welded it all together. I put a spacer plate on the olther end and was good to go.