• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce bed idea - need input

Jakob

While I was working my mundane job the past couple of days, I got to thinking. I often have heavy things I want to get into the bed of my truck. I don't have a suitable tree to lift with and nothing that can lift high enough from the ground. I've also been trying to figure out a way to fix my rusty bed AND replace my bows/stakes that were rotted out.

Here's what I thought. I think I seen a picture of a similar set up here, but some other pictures and set ups gave me ideas. I want to make some kind of heavy duty stake/bow combination. The pockets on the bed need to be replaced. Either the bows/stakes be made sectional (the bottom 2 or 3' permanent) or completely removable with new pockets.

The idea I had was to take a 4"x6" square tube, notch angles in the sides and a couple angles through the top to bow it. Each arch would be one piece of tubing, the 5 arches would then have a I-beam bolted along it and that would extend 3' out from the bed. The idea would be to have a chain hoist on rollers that I could use to pick up loads, then slide them into the bed.

I can imagine what I'm wanting in my head, but I don't have any kind of program to draw it up and I'm not sure if I'm being descriptive enough with my words? What I'm really after is what size tubing would I need for the new bow/stakes and I-beam to handle 2000lbs?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Jakob
Your I-beam rack will always be in the way... It won't be tall enough, or too tall, besides being a whole lot of work. There is no universal "fix". Dm, above, has about as universal a solution, as there is.

Lee in Alaska

dm22630

If you really like the "mobile" aspect of it....you should check out the trucks that deliver/install the concrete vaults that caskets go in at graveyards. They pick up those multiple ton vaults, move them, & set them down.

I cant seem to find pics....but they are very similar to the above posted deuce pic & you could see up close what you would need to do.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Heres my setup. Harbor freight hoist with a harbor freight 3K electric winch mounted on it, I think it cost me about $150 total. The heaviest thing I have lifted was a 55 gallon drum of new ATF. The winch needed a little help from me as it neared the top but it did the job. A taller hoist would be better but this one allows me to have the troop seats down over it when I want, I think I had to trim about 2 inches off the mount so it fits under the troop seats. The picture is before I trimmed it down. Ive used it to load a riding lawn mower and numerous wheel and tire combos that are just too heavy to throw in the back.

Attachments

Jakob

I move a lot of automotive engines (over 700lbs). I'm looking for something that can do at least 750lbs. That's not a bad idea, but I'm not sure the mount and lift would be strong enough.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
a septic tank transport and set truck has a i beam set up like you are talking about

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Nah, lots of IMT cranes on e-barf, why buy new? I am going to make one that goes in the headache rack for my deuce. Make it a convoy light mount so nobody spazes about how tall it is. Prolly put the solargizer up there too.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Jakob,

I'm working on the exact same project. I have the aluminum beam and hoist system from an ammo carrier along with the bows. The bows are about 6 inches too wide so I'm building a square frame that can be raised or lowered similar to GP small tent poles but this will be made of steel. Load limit is 1500 on the hoist.

I plan to bolt the poles to the bed either by 4 bolts on a floor plate or just running a high grade bolt through the side of the bed. 1500 isn't that much weight and I doubt I'll ever be pushing the load limit on it. I also plan to have the thing so I can pull it completely apart for stowing if I want. It will also raise up, again, similar to GP small tent poles.

Assuming I can get moving on this, I will post pictures next week.

Jakob

Jakob,

I'm working on the exact same project. I have the aluminum beam and hoist system from an ammo carrier along with the bows. The bows are about 6 inches too wide so I'm building a square frame that can be raised or lowered similar to GP small tent poles but this will be made of steel. Load limit is 1500 on the hoist.

I plan to bolt the poles to the bed either by 4 bolts on a floor plate or just running a high grade bolt through the side of the bed. 1500 isn't that much weight and I doubt I'll ever be pushing the load limit on it. I also plan to have the thing so I can pull it completely apart for stowing if I want. It will also raise up, again, similar to GP small tent poles.

Assuming I can get moving on this, I will post pictures next week.
The biggest thing I can't figure it out is what size tubing I need. I think we have the same idea. I'm interested to see what you have so far.