• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce bobbed or 6x6?

biodeucel

I am thinking about getting an M35, but can't decide whether I should get a bobbed deuce or just a 6X6 w/ singles in the rear. I like the large tire look. I may be hard to find a bobbed truck up here in NY and I don't have the skills/ tools to do this myself. What is the difference in driving bobbed vs. regular? Is there anywhere around where I live to buy a good truck? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Alredneck

Banned
6x6 can haul more cargo if you need that capability, offroad it will give you some extra traction to get over obstacles and you can always plow your way through where you ussually dont fit. BUt it is up to you, I would go to a rally and see about riding or driving one of each members most of the time will let you as long as you ask nice. then make a plan. If you dont have the tools or skills to do it your self and want to go the bobbed route then ask a buddy, or go to a vocational school, offer it up for a project and tell them what you want done. May or may not work. If you own a deuce though your going to need to get a bunch of tools if not repair bills for maintenance will get exspensive.

well i can deliver a bobbed deuce rofl. I am sending one to NH here in the next day or 2. Driving it back up there. Its truely like Alredneck has said, Its really up to you on what you decide to do or what you want route you want to go with. A bobbed deuce will give you better turning radius and will be a easier/ shorter truck to drive. And can really act like a big 4x4 pickup truck. Some guys like the 6x6 and some like the 4x4 look. It really comes down to your own preference. Either way its BIG GREEN IRON! And welcome to the site.

Capt.Marion

6x6 with super singles. Although I'd be curious to see how a bobbed deuce with larger shoes performs in the snow...

Hell, why not get 2?

EDIT: Plus with the standard tandem axles, you get a very cool looking and unmistakeable truck, and a good bit of cargo capacity. In my opinion singles look better than a bob job, but with some of the bob jobs I've seen now, I am liking them both.

Elwenil

I personally prefer the look, cargo capacity and originality of the normal Deuce. I would also swap to single tires due to the Deuce not really having that much ground pressure when empty. But if I had the time and money, I'd probably have a bobbed Deuce around also, but it would not be my first choice.

pa.rich

Go with six by six if parking space isnt a problem. Better weight capacity and more like a large truck. I love loading mine up and feeling it pull and hearing the engine working with a load. They love to be loaded.Like Capt. Marion said, get one of each, Green disease will have you doing that eventually anyway!

Alredneck

Banned
As the keeping it duals or going super singles, my 395s super singles will carry more than my truck is rated for so that wont be a problem, I think even 11r20 load range is equivalnat or better as a single to the deuces loaded capacity.

LanceRobson

Howdy, Bio and welcome to the site.

I live outside Auburn, NY. Where are you? A bunch of the local tread-headed, diesel-breath, OD iron loving types get together several times a year. The next time will be for some parades on the 4th. If your anywhere close to us, throw me a PM for info.

As far as your questions go; a lot of "food for thought" has already been posted, but here's a few more things to chew on.

Where do you plan to drive it? I mean, really drive it. Goofing around at the Moose River Recreation Area is different than trying to get out of the Bronx on Friday afternoon. A truck with singles will turn tighter than a truck with duals. A bobbed truck will turn tighter than a full length truck.

What, if anything, do you plan to haul with it? If you're thinking about a bobbed truck I'm guessing you won't be using it on a regular basis to haul bulky or heavy "stuff" If your going to carry bulky, long or heavy items a bobbed truck may not be practical.

Bobbed trucks generally have to keep the spare in the bed. That can be a tough one man lift to get a flat back up into the bed.

Some insurers won't insure a non-stock vehicle. Make sure you know where you'll be getting your insurance before buying a bobbed truck.

The "big wheel look" means more climbing into the cab or bed and a higher bed height for loading. Try asking on the forum for info.

A flat with singles generally has to be dealt with where it happens to avoid damage to the tire (and tube, if used). A flat with duals can usually be nursed a short distance at low speed without damage. Heck, with an outer flat you can run the inner tire up on a hunk of wood or a rock, pull the outer wheel and "continue to march" until it's convenient or safer to replace the flat.

In New York any vehicle more than 25 model years old can be registered and plated as an "antique" or "vintage" vehicle with little restriction on personal use. Some ststes are a lot more restrictive. Throw in "antique" insurance and it can save a lot of dough. Maybe some of the other New Yorkers could chime in?

The real decision, though, really revolves around what . If practicality won't be the driving force, get what you like.

Lance

biodeucel

I live in the general glens falls area. The Bronx? No. I avoid urban areas like the plague. Once I get it, I will probably be hauling firewood, WVO (waste vegatabe oil) for the biodiesel, and maybe towing a camper or boat occasionally.

As for the antique registration, anyone know of any restrictions on a vehicle with this registration?
Also, anyone any have any problems with 5 ton weight limits on roads?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Having a 12' bed is awful nice.

I really thought my truck was just going to be a toy, but it has proven to have a million uses.

Streetgliderx

Re: RE: Deuce bobbed or 6x6?

SasquatchSanta said:
"Deuce-And-A-Half or Half-A-Deuce" ... That is the question.
i never understood this wouldn't it fit better as duece (front and rear axle) and a half (rearmost axle)? then a duece and a half would be a duece plus half another???? but a deuce is just 2 axles half of two is 1 so duece and a half is 2+1=3! reckon??? LOL just some useless post to boost my numbers sorry fellas

APM215

RE: Re: RE: Deuce bobbed or 6x6?

I know it has come up but here's my 2cents . If your just driving around then go with a bobbed deuce the wear on your tires well be less or you could run singles and keep the stock look but expect tire scrub when turning.

LanceRobson is right get what you like.

LanceRobson

If you go to the NY DMV website for antique registration info it only addresses age, not a word about weight. We're near to Cortland, where Brockaway trucks were made and there's some of them around with antique plates. Fire engines, too.

As far as the weight limits, you'll want to check with the local highway dept. and law enforcement. NYS gives "legislative relief" for some vehicles on weight limits (bulk milk trucks, school buses, fire trucks etc) I don't know if there are exceptions for local traffic. Don't be afraid to ask for specific references, as in most buracracies, a lot of folks "know" stuff that's inaccurate.. The NYS Vehicle and Traffic codes could fill a pile of paper big enough to sandbag in a .50 Cal.

Lance

saddamsnightmare

June 15th, 2008. :ditto:

Dear Biodiesel:

Get what you can most live with..... For myself, I would prefer the deuce and a half with super singles, and might I suggest lockers on the front axle and No. 3 axle (rear), the reasons....1: deuces empty or lightly loaded may "float" in mud or snow.. 2: 1100R20 Goodyear G177's M+S military tires can be gotten for about $100.00 each plus shipping from Berg Tire, excellent traction, and current issue 95-100% remaining tread life for the price. 3: you still have the 2-1/2 to 5 ton carrying capacity if you need it. 4: in any case, Real trucks don't need an ignition system (where've we seen this one before). 5: The sound of a deuce engine makes all other diesel pickups sound like "Girly-Man machines" . 6. Even "Ah-nold" would like to have one.....
7. To paraphrase Jim Williams in "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil": "Driving one of these pisses off all the right people" (Hummer, Land Rover et al owners!).8: Great way to pick up chicks! 9: great way to pickup almost everything else (except for that really high cargo bed floor height!!!). 10. Should be on the "Tonight" Show or the David Letterman Show...... Heck, I don't think even Jay has one of these in his Garage yet????!!!!11: The lockers will ease wear and tear and tight turn scrubbing--- a problem with the standard No. 3 axle on pavement!!! 12: You'll wear that ---- eatin' grin everytime you fire her up (and cry all the way to the fuel pump unless you're using WVO or WMO in your fuel mix.....
With a deuce, even super singled, is less likely to do something exciting if you get a blow out in the rear (even less likely if still tandem and dualled), whereas, with the 4x4's, I'd be very worried about a blow out at speed (FRONT blowouts in either can make life hairy). In any of them, 4x4 and 6x6, getting stuck in snow or mud is a pain(even with a winch, you will get stuck sooner or later, and it'll be a bigger stick, trust me)! Keep friends with a man that owns a 6x6 Wrecker, you're gonna need him sooner or later.
Good luck on your hunting, be sfae and be careful.... and keep us posted on the results! :grd:

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep m35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Deuce :driver:
1968 Johnson Corp M105A2 Cargo trailer :popcorn:
1967 Hercules Gas Gen-Set APU, MEP023A :deadhorse:
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog, S.404.114 MB :beer:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I have seen excellent examples of "bobbed" deuces. Although they have a unique, and even cool look....they just ain't a deuce.
Maybe a giant 4X4 pickup would suffice?
This is only my personal opinion....and everyone has their own - the deuce was/is a good truck and an excellent military assett. I just hate to see one chopped up.
But....as others have said, it is an individual decision based on what you do with the truck and how much feeling you have for the hobby.