• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Bomb Crane?

Willysman

I just picked up a "bomb crane" from a guy for $200 minus the chain hoist. I think it would be super useful, but I like the looks of the bed canvas. Can the canvas bed top be installed over the crane? Oh yea do you think $200 was to much? Ha ha It looks like the one in this picture I found.

I also bought a nice duece trailer with a 10k generater, and somekind of military hot water heater tank thing for $500. Was that a decent price. Ha ha I know I should have asked before buying it lol.

The m35a2 I picked up also came from the same guy. It's a non turbo m35a2 winch truck and everything works minus the horn button. I got it for $1500 and drove 30 miles home down the interstate! I bought a canvas (not the rubbery kind) bed top for another $100. How did I do? (-;

Attachments

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site and I'd say you got a good deal at $1,500 for a running winch truck.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You can extend the side supports but you would have to have the cargo cover extended.

Any place that makes tarps could fab you up a cover.

I think I remember the unit next to mine in Germany having one with a cover on it. Since they were not authorized a wrecker they used the deuce and hoist to recover disabled vehicles. They only had M151's so towing with it was easy.

gunboy1656

Sounds too good to be true to me. Need to see the pics of the stuff.

Cheapest I have seen those wrecker sets was 1200 bucks.even without the hoist.

Canvas goes for about 4-5 times what you paid unless it is in bad shape.

Holding my thoughts on the truck until pics can be seen.

Willysman

His uncle or someone in his family passed away and he inherited it all. He is selling everything then using the money for his kids education. He is cleaning off all the military vehicles that his uncle owned to sell the land and house. All he has left is various m151 parts some nos, 2 m151 jeeps, 1 3/4 ton ammo trailer and piles of ammo cans. There was jeep trailers, some kind of amphibious aluminum tracked vehicle, 2 3/4 ton ammo trailers, 1 m35a2, 2 deuce trailers, 3 m151 jeeps, mules, many military weapons, and so much more. He has a new deuce wheel and tire, m151 top, deuce passenger seat cushions, Jerry can holders, deuce radiator, m151 wheels also for sale. It's all here in Jackson, Ms. I wish I could have met the guy. I bet he would have been cool to talk to.

And yes, all that I paid is true and the condition is great. ( The deuce, bomb crane, and trailer could use fresh paint. The bed canvas looks perfect. He just need the stuff gone before he scraps it he told me.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Willysman,

Send Tim (timntrucks) an e-mail or a private message with the information about the fellow trying to sell the military stuff. He may be able to help the guy get a better price than the scrapper will pay.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you think one of those bomb hoists would have enough clearance to lift a MEP-002A in the back of a deuce? I dont know if it would be tight between the chain falls and the lift hook on the generator. Anybody have a picture of things they loaded in a deuce with a bomb hoist? :D

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am going to assume you actually bought a #7 wrecker hoist.

Because the first pic you posted with the CCKW is probably not your hoist since it has the trolley.

Short answer:

Bomb hoist goes all the way to the front of the bed
#7 wrecker hoist goes about 2/3 or 3/4.

Learn more:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cckw/41204-cckw-wrecker-set-7-a.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/trailers/74416-wrecker-bomb-crane-m105a2.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/conversations/60747-bomb-hoist-military-truck.html <--post #4 has lots more links

AceHigh

The second thread Clinto mentioned above is my crane. I went out and checked and it is 60 inches from the rail to floor, and the chainfall takes 17 inches. So you can lift from about 20 inches up to about 40. I don't have my MEP here to check it but I bet it is too tall.

Attachments

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks a lot for your help Acehigh! I was thinking about getting one of these cranes, but my exact thought about the distance of the chainfalls. According to the TM, the MEP-002A is 37 inches tall. I think the same goes for the MEP-003A incase somebody is wondering. It looks like the crane is just on edge of picking up a genset. 3 inches is not much room for clearance incase the ground is uneven.

Last edited:

Willysman

I mounted the bomb crane in my deuce. I saw where the bomb crane was about 6inches higher then the canvas so I cut the crane arch legs and L leg down 8 inches to be able to instal the bed canvas also. I also swapped the troop seat outer board with the 3rd board back on both seats to be able to fold them down. I relocated the tail gate steps to the far outside edges of the tailgate to be able the close the gate. I altered nothing on the truck other then drilled a few of holes. Now I can pull my jeep engines out for a rebuild all in a nice comfy covered deuce bed during the winter. Ha. I can't wait. The crane also came with a trolly that I installed.

Attachments

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good! I see a real nice heavy duty crane on my way to work every morning. It is in the back of this beat up old ford truck parked by some guys property. He is always selling stuff, but I dont know if that is forsale. Im cheap right now seeing I bought a house and all. It would be awesome mounted in my deuce! Be even cooler if it fit under my cargo cover! A bomb hoist would be nice, but for the same price maybe I could get a crane. Decisions Decisions!

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One change I would have done differently would have been to raise the bows for the crane to fit under the canvas.
I like that idea. It would be like seeing the M816 Wreckers with the cargo cover on them. It looks neat! When i was at rausch creek this weekend, Shenkmen had new bows on his cargo cover on his deuce. they had more of an arch in them than my factory metal bows on my deuce. I wonder if a little more arch could get just the right height without bringing the cargo cover up on the sides? It would be close!