• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Brake Diagrams

I need to replace my front brake
But I am unsure what the part numbers are for replacements

Does anyone know off hand where to get new shoes drum and springs ? :?:

The problem is its heating up when i drive it indicating a spring may be broken

but never did them yet .
I have the equipment to now do it but not sure the steps .

I took it to a 24 truck repair shop . and they could do nothing cause they never seen that set up before. So if they can't touch it how do I start ? thank you

m816Buch

Check out the resources section on this site.......tech manuals give pretty good desciption on brake service........parts can be gotten at some of the better part stores that have the patience to look in the catalogs, or people at this site can fix you right up.........memphis equipment too

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

mudguppy

i have actually just taken off my drum brakes (complete assemblies) at all 4 corners. shoes and springs are good to like-new condition. would love to sell as i have no use for them.... but i see you are a ways away.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you tried anything to confirm your diagnosis, like backing off the adjusters or pulling off the drum for a preliminary inspection?

The reason I ask is that I don't often see broken springs. Corroded and rusty, but not many broken. What I have found on these trucks is crud in the wheel cylinder from corrosion and sedimentation that causes the wheel cylinder to constantly apply, so the springs cannot retract the shoes. Cracking the bleeder does not help in this instance, you will need to repair or replace the cylinder.

Best wishes and keep us posted.

Rick

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yes, in order to get the brake drums off, the hub and bearings must be pulled. All full floating axles were like this up until the advent of disc brakes, which allowed brake system maintenance without having to pull the hub and reset the bearings (preload).

But look at it as a blessing in disguise-once you are done, you will know 100% that the bearings are greased, in good condition and properly adjusted, therefore far less likely to leave you stranded somewhere inhospitable.

Srjeeper

Read the manuals.....

The Tech Manuals are the best place to get your questions answered.

The Parts manual gives you the diagrams & part #'s. The Maint. & Tech. manuals tell you how and when to do the job with diagrams.

The time spent reading these manuals is well worth it.

You'll not only learn how to do a job, but will have a better understanding of how the different components on your truck work.

Once you know how something works, you are better prepaired to diagnose and deal with problems down the road.

They can all be downloaded "free" right here on SS. ;-)

How sweet is that? [thumbzup]

2cents

Heavysteven

I agree with Clinto, you should pull the hub and inspect the brakes. Once you go through this process once it easy the next time. Plus you can check the bearings.

thank you for help what exact diagrams do i want to look at ? Yes I bought a cd with all manuals but seems only thing on most of them is everything i do not need . mostly 5 ton
AND i bought a brand new ice engine analyzer system to assist problems i hope . seems i get one thing fixed another goes out
had nice air horn now a click they no longer work . i still love it though . and the help as well
ICE Engine Analyzer

for it .