• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DEUCE BRAKE LINE REFERENCE GUIDE (Sizes, lengths, fittings)

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don’t have access to SW. just autodesk suite. You don’t happen to have any cad files in Autodesk do you? I have access to a 5 axis CNC but it would be easier to cast or build piece by piece, but even that would be tough to get it exactly right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peashooter

I don’t have access to SW. just autodesk suite. You don’t happen to have any cad files in Autodesk do you? I have access to a 5 axis CNC but it would be easier to cast or build piece by piece, but even that would be tough to get it exactly right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are right that its saved in the native Solidworks format but as long as you have some 3D cad you can open one of the formats on there. I saved the files in a few universal formats that any 3D software can open (Step, iges, parasolid), its also saved as an "e-drawing" that can be opened with a free software although I always found it tricky to use.

Back2Wyo

Peashooter, on the drawing for the A2, you show the main frame line F3 as being 97 inches. Is that the total length front to back or the length of the 2 lines from the T block?

Back2Wyo

Found a shop in northern Colorado that can make the 5 rubber lines with Peashooters parts list. Under $220 with shipping.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
87-89 DUAL CIRCUIT MASTER CYLINDER BRACKET. (The only unavailable part needed to retrofit a single circuit deuce to a dual circuit 1987-89 Air Force truck style system)

(The below info is copied from the following post in order to keep relevant brake system material in a common "sticky" post.)
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...-temporarily&p=2068370&viewfull=1#post2068370

Well Clinto was able to obtain a new Dual Circuit Master Cylinder Bracket. We modeled it up in 3D CAD....and then ran out of time to put much additional effort into the project for the time being. We understand that this is a complex shape and not something likely to be easily duplicated at a cost inline with what most members are willing and able to pay. In an attempt to take advantage of the site's many members who may have creative ways to redesign this in a cost effective way and/or access to discounted manufacturing processes needed, we wanted to share what info we have put together so far (a digital CAD model of the factory bracket). So for you folks who have Fab skills, tools, and access to a CAD software; you can find the files on GRABCAD (a CAD fileshare site). The files are saved in a number of formats, but there are NO DRAWINGS, only 3D CAD files. The 3D files contain all the dimensioning needed.
Please note that the bracket was modeled exactly after the cast bracket. There is a "Simplified" version cad file of the bracket as well that has most of the fillets and drafts removed that are inherent to the cast design. The model should at least give proper dimensions and angles for those who undertake the challenge of redesigning this into an easier to fabricate weldment that will meet form, fit, and function of the original ductile iron casting.
The files can be found here: https://grabcad.com/library/m35a2-du...nder-bracket-1

If anyone finds a good way to reproduce this, be sure to share pics of it!

View attachment 704598View attachment 704599View attachment 704600View attachment 704601View attachment 704602View attachment 704603View attachment 704604
Peashooter,

How does the W/W deuce winch lever bracket bolt up to the dual circuit M/C bracket? Is there an additional bracket to hold it? The single circuit M/C itself has holes drilled and tapped in the side to bolt the bracket on, and I don't see where the 2 bolts needed for the winch control bracket would bolt up to this special dual circuit M/C bracket.

peashooter

Peashooter,

How does the W/W deuce winch lever bracket bolt up to the dual circuit M/C bracket? Is there an additional bracket to hold it? The single circuit M/C itself has holes drilled and tapped in the side to bolt the bracket on, and I don't see where the 2 bolts needed for the winch control bracket would bolt up to this special dual circuit M/C bracket.
The MC bracket has the winch lever capstan cast right into it... if you had the bracket already it doesn't get any easier to add the winch lever since you just need a single bolt. Here is the page of the TM that shows it.

View attachment WINCH MOUNT OF MC BRACKET.pdf

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The MC bracket has the winch lever capstan cast right into it... if you had the bracket already it doesn't get any easier to add the winch lever since you just need a single bolt. Here is the page of the TM that shows it.

View attachment 707108
Ok, I see it now. No need for the stamped single circuit A2 PTO lever bracket. Thank you! Excuse the ugly sketch!
PTO control lever.png

brianp454

I've purchased UP 1245 and UP 1246 So many times I thought to look into an alternative. So, I found this:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7717

Merchandising Assortment Maxcraft Balkamp PART # BK 7717$15.99 /EachAssortment Type 110-pc Copper Washer AssortmentUNSPSC 80141605

This seems to be a cheap way or picking up some of the copper crush washers I commonly use and have some extras at a great price. Yet, the NAPA close to my home says it is not available. Anyone know how to get this or something similar?

Metalpoptart

Peashooter,
Reading your original post, you mention using flexible steel lines in your kits, vs the hardline kits. Would this suggest you can replace all current hardlines with the stainless braided type line? Or no go? My lines aren’t blown but they are rusty and need attention, 1976 deuce.

*disregard, I found my answer a little further in!

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
There are tons of different copper washer sets available on amazon. Just a matter of finding one that has the right sizes.
When I needed them I got some at NAPA and some from eBay. Yes if you know the number you need they are not hard to find. This helps. The TM's indicate they are to replaced after use.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know this is an older thread but since I've been out of deuces since 2013, I've missed this. It is a great resource and my hat is off to you Peashooter and all those that subsequently provided info and resources.

BFS, I think this was the greatest find in here. I've not sent a message about purchasing so I don't know current prices but based off what the 2 listed prices are, it's still going to be a great deal. Now with my son buying a deuce, the one gallon of BFS I've been saving will not be enough. I'll order some soon and report back.

peashooter

Peashooter,
Reading your original post, you mention using flexible steel lines in your kits, vs the hardline kits. Would this suggest you can replace all current hardlines with the stainless braided type line? Or no go? My lines aren’t blown but they are rusty and need attention, 1976 deuce.

*disregard, I found my answer a little further in!
👍, stick with the hardlines as you probably discovered. I’m sure hard lines are superior to any style of flexible line, except for the obvious need of flexibility in some areas. It sure would make install easier if we could use it everywhere, but brakes would probably feel mushy.

Metalpoptart

👍, stick with the hardlines as you probably discovered. I’m sure hard lines are superior to any style of flexible line, except for the obvious need of flexibility in some areas. It sure would make install easier if we could use it everywhere, but brakes would probably feel mushy.
Thank you sir! I’ll follow your specs on hard lines

peashooter

does anyone know which master cylinder was used for the 87-89 dual circuit upgrade and where to get one!
A nearly exact replacement for the 1988 airforce deuce is the Dorman M39477. It will be the same with the only exceptions being the reservoir will be labeled Dot3 (but dot 5 can be used since seals are EPDM), it will have slits in the reservoir cap seals to act as the breather, and it wont have the remote breather fitting installed (both of which you can add or modify on your own, but are only needed if you would be fording water deeper than the height of the master cylinder). These can be found online (such as Summit Racing).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks