• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Brake Pedal Pressure with 395's

Deucenut

For those of you that have installed 395/85 R20's on your deuces, how much brake pedal pressure is required to stop the beast. I have installed 395's with run flats on my deuce and now I literally almost have to stand on the pedal to stop her and I don't think I could lock up the wheels if my life depended on it. I know I have a couple of thousand pounds in the back that adds to my momentum but I am concerned that I may have an issue with my brake system.

I checked all the wheel cylinders when and adjusted the brakes when I did the hub flip. The pedal is solid and there is not excessive pedal travel. It just seems that that, though I can stop it, the pedal pressure required is excessive. Any thoughts?

Thanks all!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Something is obviously not right somewhere. I can lock mine up. I've been able to lock it up with the XML and XZL, so it isn't just a fluke. If wheel cyls look good and the brakes are adjusted, I'd say the next step is to inspect the air pack.

Edit, how old are your soft(rubber) brake lines? I'd swap them out before looking at the air pack.

Deucenut

The truck was rebuilt in 1990 and got a short air pack installed at the renewal. I am guessing the lines were replaced at that time since they do not look badly weathered and are not soft. I suspected the air pack was a problem but did not want to tear into it until I had it confirmed that I should not need to press that hard on the brake pedal. Thanks for the input.

Clay James

I have them on a 109 and it stops fine and it has thousands of pounds more weight with the tires with run flats and all the rv components.

searls84

Agree with what has been said above. I've locked mine up hauling 4.5 cords of wet firewood with a 105 trailer in tow, and it's brakes are defunct, pretty easily. I would look in the direction of the airpack since it "multiplies" the pressure to the brake system.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck was rebuilt in 1990 and got a short air pack installed at the renewal. I am guessing the lines were replaced at that time since they do not look badly weathered and are not soft. I suspected the air pack was a problem but did not want to tear into it until I had it confirmed that I should not need to press that hard on the brake pedal. Thanks for the input.
So your looking at almost 20 year old rubber brake lines , might not be a bad idea to replace with new lines .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks