• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce brake problem Help needed.

jluv1185

My good friend John Spink is building a deuce. He put all new brake lines, new master cylinder, and front wheel cylinders. He pressure bled the brakes, and got really good pedal out of the truck. He drove it around and she worked fine. He let it sit for a day, and now no brakes. There is not a leak anywhere. What are we missing?

Thanks guys!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Nope, the air pack, the part that gives a "boost of pressure" in the brake system should be bled too. If you follow the brake tube from the master cyl's output, you will find the air pack inches below it. there is a bleeder port near the front.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have a copy of the TM, the air pack should have been bled first, then move to the farthest wheel from the MC (right rear tandem)...keep moving closer as you bleed each wheel. End up at the front drivers

jluv1185

I don't know if he has the TM, I just figured he knew what he was doing, and some top secret conspiracy was afoot. I'll ask him tomorrow if he bled the airpack. If he did I'll be back! :roll:

jollyroger

We just got done doing the AirPak and master cylinder on our M220. It's got 2 bleeders on the AirPak like on the 5 ton's. It also has 2 wheel cylinders per wheel. So it takes a lot of fluid.

OldFart (My Father) found a brake bleeder kit at Harbor Freght that has a filler bottle with a valve and a threaded tube that is supposed to thread into a funnel. The treads just so happened to thread into the MC filler tube on the M220. This made it so easy to add fluid. No muss, no fuss.

I'm gonna figure out a way to attach it to the M35 in a similar fashion for fluid filling/bleeding.[thumbzup]

PalmerBS

Noob question, i know, but the copper line that goes to the MC cap...lets talk about how important that is...cause it just broke! :O

Between 3 trucks, I'm pretty much an expert at wheel cylinder replacement and bleeding at this point. I think I bleed DOT 5 now.

PalmerBS

Copy that, thanks!

Now that it has broken, what would you recommend I do? It seems like the brakes act a bit different with it wide open like that, should they be? Is it an "appendix" or no?

jluv1185

Update! He followed the TM to the letter. He did bleed the airpack first and the each wheel like it says to. So were back to square one...what else could it be?

hellrayzor1

Have you tried bleeding the brakes again? Maybe the first time you didn't get all the air out and it has worked its way to a critical area. Just a thought. Also would check the fluid level in the MC again.

PalmerBS

I believe the vent tube is needed. It vents the MC and also keeps water and dirt from getting in there. Otherwise you would have to seal the top of the MC and that would cause you problems. There has to be a vent to allow air in to replace the space from the fluid leaving the MC and go to the airpack. Im no expert but logically makes sense to me.

Last edited:

deuceaid

Banned
Yeah , my friend spent 4 hours the day before bleeding,,,,

called me, next morning, I pull up SS search engine, find pics, bleed airpac...... well he gave me an m 105 trailer, and bought me lunch twice, and wants to pay for an old ratty 35 or 105 cover if I have it,,,,, and he use to drive hemtts and knew alot of good info............

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
4hrs bleeding seems like a lot. What was the process used? I am not questioning ability, just trying to rule out possibilities.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks