• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce brake shoe replacement

I need to replace the brake shoes on one side of my duece. I ordered 2 shoes and the side that goes between the two. Is there anything else I need to get or anything I need to do when replacing the shoes?

dittle

While you're into the axle that far I would check you axle seals and brake cylinder. As far as extra stuff to just replace the shoes not that I know of. You'll need to adjust them once you have it back together.

dittle

Like jwaller said that are 2 sets of bolts (1 set for each shoe). One above the axle and one below the axle. If I remember correctly the upper bolts are a "fine" adjustment and the bottoms are the "coarse" adjustment. They are a camshaft system so you don't just crank on them to make the adjustments. As you turn, the cam pushes the shoe out further to a point, but once you reach the end of the cam thats as far as you can go with it.

Barrman

Use a furniture dolly to put the tires/hub/brake drum assembly on. Less stuff to take apart and you don't have to pick all those things up. Don't forget your silcone in the keyway, adjust your shoes with the axle not bolted in and check your gear oil level when done. Even if you didn't leak any out.

emr

There is a major adjustment and a minor adjustment, We all should do a major on our trucks when we get em or replace any brakes, this means find the holes in the hub that allow access to the top and bottom adjust ment meaning sliding a measuring shim in there to measure brakes from drum., I beieve i remember the top space between the shoe and drum should on each side be 20 thousands and the bottom 10 thousands, it will take a few times back and forth to get em all correct, after 3000 miles we are supposed to do a minor that means just do the top, then another 3000 miles a major again. not doing this can lead to a spongy pedal or a peddle that can make u think there are other things wrong, this is the first thing to do always,besides looking for leaking cylinders...

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

March 18th, 2010.

Airbornebandsman:

You can get the new cork keyway wedges from White Owl Parts. Silicone is generally not the approved method of sealing the keyways to keep them from leaking. PM magazine which is on the resources here had an article on the correct way to cure whats gonna be a leak.... IF silicone is used.
The article also gives the dimesions should you need to cut some out of cork gasket stock. You might also want to save the old shoes and get them relined at a truck brake shop, then you'll have spares.

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:wink:

Last edited:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brakes are REALLY nothing to mess around with. You need to download the TM and read it. Your life as well as the others around you and the well being of the MV hobby depend on you doing the correct repair and not a half way job. Heed MACCUS's advice. 2cents

March 18th, 2010.

Airbornebandsman:

You can get the new cork keyway wedges from White Owl Parts. Silicone is generally not the approved method of sealing the keyways to keep them from leaking. PM magazine which is on the resources here had an article on the correct way to cure whats gonna be a leak.... IF silicone is used.
The article also gives the dimesions should you need to cut some out of cork gasket stock. You might also want to save the old shoes and get them relined at a truck brake shop, then you'll have spares.

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:wink:
For future searchers: PS Magazine issue 173 pg 37 covers the cork. I haven't found the issue dealing with silicone yet, but I'll update this post when I find it.

rustystud

Does anybody know how many miles front shoes are good for on m35a3?
That is determined by a lot of factors. One: how do you drive ? Do you maintain speed then brake hard or do you slow down far in advance. Two: do you ride the brakes ? Three: do you maintain the brakes and keep them in proper adjustment ? Four: did you buy good quality brake shoes to begin with ? Five: did you turn the drums before replacing the brake shoes ? Six: do you maintain the seals and bearings and keep the oil from leaking on the shoes ? Seven: do you use the transmission to help with braking ? Eight: how often do you drive ? There are plenty more factors that all go into how long your brake shoes will last. So no one can honestly tell you how long they will last. We can only go on how long ours last and give you an estimate. Mine last for years but I don't drive it daily anymore.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Even daily driven new relined shoes on a daily driver should be 30k or so you'd think. A long dang way in a MV.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

amaverick88

One thing I would suggest is to get your brake drums turned by a local machine shop or parts store if they have the capability. Then afterwards determine if it is still within limits of the serviceability. Although this will take longer due to taking more apart and lugging the heavy drums off it will make sure the new shoes and the drum will wear evenly together for optimal friction when stopping.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks