• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Brakes suddenly out

Varyag

So I call the guy I am meeting tomorrow about picking up one of his trucks and he said he checked it today and the brake peddle went to the floor. If it isn't a quick fix I am going to pick up a different truck but I would prefere this one. Any quick pointers at what to look at to see if we can get it drivable again?

I just need a couple things to check. I am going to start with the master cyl. first and work my way down.

Added info, this truck has been sitting for a few months. He just put new batts in it today to start it. It ran and drove fine, just not breaks after sitting.

wsucougarx

Good luck to you:wink: Those trucks cycled through FT Lewis GL about 4-6 months ago. Most were in pretty sad shape. Be sure to check everything over really well. Most of the trucks didn't have brake pressure and had leaky wheel cylinders. He does have one without a turbo that smoked pretty bad. Like I said check everything over really well

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Bring some plugs and/or caps. That way, if a wheel cyl is leaking, you can plug it till you get home and not loose all your brakes.

wsucougarx

no, you cannot do a visual on the wc w/out pulling the drum. If it's leaking brake fluid you'll know:wink: Be sure to check to see what kind of brake fluid you have in there. More than likely it is DOT-5 but verify by doing a water test with it. Don't assume it is DOT 5 or DOT 3

wsucougarx

Bring plent of GL-1 gear oil with you as well. Most of those trucks were put out to pasture long before they came up for auction. They are probably the roughest deuces I have seen at FT Lewis. Most have not been ran for sometime.

Varyag

I have a friend there now, he said they are actually in pretty good shape. They start easy drive well and have pretty paint still. I will just see when I get there. I won't get one if it is garbage. Also, I am not sure if it is true till I see the tags myself, the seller and my buddy said they went through reman in the 90s.

What is the water test?

wsucougarx

Pull some brake fluid out of the MC and put into a little container, add a couple drops of water, shake the heck out of it, let stand for 5 minutes. If the water separates and does NOT mix with the brake fluid then you have DOT-5 (silicone based) brake fluid. However, if the water mixes then more than likely it's DOT-3. The two fluids are NOT compatible with each other.

govt

Pull some brake fluid out of the MC and put into a little container, add a couple drops of water, shake the heck out of it, let stand for 5 minutes. If the water separates and does NOT mix with the brake fluid then you have DOT-5 (silicone based) brake fluid. However, if the water mixes then more than likely it's DOT-3. The two fluids are NOT compatible with each other.
Good Info! Thanks!

Keith_J

I do the "taste test" on brake fluid identification. Yeah, glycol (DOT3, 4) are bitter, DOT 5 is bland.

Spit and rinse after the test, glycol are TOXIC, silicone are not so much.

On the brake failure, a pressure bleeder will do wonders. No PB? The cap of the master cylinder has a 1/8 NPT thread, fill the MC and put about 15 PSI on it. This will reseat cups, they can become unseated if a poppet breather is used instead of an airline on the cap.

Varyag

I am now the proud owner of a m35a2. Has a brand new engine, like out of the crate new. A new set of rubber under it and a near perfect body. It is pretty ugly, needs some paint, but the vehical passed both a 10 and 20 level by the TM check. No deadlines.

Ohh, the one I asked about the breaks had a dead wheel cyl. Brake fluid comming out of the back of the drum. I went with a different one.