• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce brakes

Jake0147

We also don't call air brakes "air over mechanical spring brakes"

I agree that it really doesn't matter what they are called as long as they work.
Only the parking brake would be "air over mechanical spring"... Quite right, but since all conventional brake systems end in mechanical braking, that part is dropped from the nomenclature and assumed to be there unless otherwise stated or implied such as hydraulic retarders, regenerative braking, etc. Then they'd have to be mechanical over before anything as well, as you always have to push a pedal, lever, or maybe even a switch, then it'd be electric over mechanical over whatever... That part is assumed as well.

I really don't care what they're called either. M35Tom is very correct, the hydraulic link can be technically broken while the brakes are in operation. Yet the connection is there in one form. Take away the air in mid stop, and the brakes continue to work based on the fluid alone. So even in an interrupted state, the hydraulic system remains a primary system, and the air remains secondary.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks