• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Brakes??

houdel

WillWagner said:
Sorry, haven't figuerd out how to quote.[/quote

WillWagner - Quoting is very simply done. At the extreme lower right hand corner of every posting there is a box marked "quote". If you just place your cursor over the box it will say "Reply with Quote". Now there are two ways to do this. If you simply LEFT click on the "quote" box, it will open a reply pane in the same window you were viewing, with the text from that window quoted.

The method I choose to use is to RIGHT click the quote button. Depending on your browser, it will give you the option of opening your quoted reply in either a new tab (if your browser supports tabbed browsing) or opening your quoted reply in a new window. I prefer opening my replies in a new tab/window. That way I can tab back to the original posting and view it in its entirety, which is useful if it is a long thread and you need to go back a ways to get some information, then go back to your "Reply" tab/window to enter your reply. That way you have the best of both worlds, you are only a single mouse click away from the entire original thread to your reply. This also works in the personal message window as well.

houdel

OK, I'm going to give up the discussion on what gear to use when backing Pumbi's truck off the flat bed. I am only a dumb Registered Professional Engineer with 38 years experience with General Motors and probably 20 years experience wrenching at the "Shade Tree" garage. You guy have one opinion, I have another. We both know we are right, we will just have to agree to disagree..

For about the third or forth time, I'm going to repeat that the SAFEST way to get his truck off the flatbed is use a chainfall, winch or power puller connected between the flatbed and his front bumper/towing shackles to roll in off at a CONTROLLED descent!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll say one more word on it. In first gear low range, you won't be able to turn the engine over at all. Letting out the clutch will just lock up the tires. No way you can overcome the compression. Here's a simple test. Park your truck nose down on a hill and put it in first gear, low range. Push in the clutch and let it roll and then start letting out the clutch. I've done this a dozen times. Just try it and report back. If I could do video, I'd post the results.

JDToumanian

Yes a Deuce will run in reverse rotation.
I had to think about that for a while... I knew 2-stroke Detroits can run in reverse rotation, but a 4-stroke? I think it could work though (I studied one of my model airplane engines to confirm!)

It would compress air on the power stroke and fire on the compression stroke, blow exhaust out the air cleaner on the intake stroke, and suck in air through the exhaust pipe in the exhaust stroke. COOL, eh? You could drive down the street in reverse (moving forward) with smoke coming out the intake mushroom.

The only *tiny* little problem, besides dirty air cleaners, is that your oil pump will be sucking air through the oil galleries and blowing bubbles in the pan!

Jon

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Mike, isn't this what you meant?

Attachments

Pumbi

Its off the trailer......no mashed hondas!!

Thanks for all the great ideas on getting mu deuce off the trailer. The brakes ended up working well enough that came off the trailer on its own brake power. After about an hour of checking everything and wrestling with the in tank fuel pump....it was missing the fuse that is directly on top of the fuel pump housing.......we got it running with no problem. I have so many questions now that its in my yard and running.......it was actually in super good shape the only thing it is missing is the PTO driveshaft. No super bad rust spots and th fuel tank leaks a bit..........I have the sneaking suspision that you guys will be hearing alot from me in the near future...........here are some picks of my new baby.....please feel free to comment at will........

Pumbi

RE: Its off the trailer......no mashed hondas!!

Apperently I dont know how to post pictures correctly......

houdel

Once bitten by the big green bug, the questions and postings never ends (unless you are cranetruck, who no longer has questions, only answers).

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Photos?

Looks real nice for $2028 + premium. Judging by the sticker on the oil filter can, I'm assuming that the FDC has been bypassed. I would drain and refill the tank before I started it, the GL description says the cap was missing. A little TLC and you're gonna be out deucin'

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Wow, all the good stuff everyone wants: big mirrors, winch, air shift, spring ride...very nice. And side markers and cargo tiedowns to boot!

:beer:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Looks great! bigmike lives out by you. He's still working on his truck. You need to find out where he lives and drive by his house every day, just to tease him :driver:

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

Work has kept me away from the group for a while, however, I have a couple of things to say on the engine start situation.

Every edition of the operator's manual for the deuce says to start vehicle by towing, place transfer in high, and transmission in fifth. Many GI's have started trucks this way, and I have too. First and reverse in a deuce are about 5:1 ratio, thus, with the engine being driven by the transmission (as in starting the truck by rolling), one revolution of the transmission output shaft turns the engine 1/5 of a revolution. Fourth gear is direct, so one revolution of the output shaft turns the engine a full revolution, Fifth is an overdrive, usually about .79:1, so one revolution of the transmission output turns the engine 1 1/5 of a revolution. The higher the gear, the easier it starts (one of the reasons weak batteries can result in a no-start situation.

That being said, the Multifuel is one of the easiest to start engines I've ever encountered. Before I moved, my driveway had a slight incline, and more than once I've roll started a deuce in reverse.

The only safe way to use the engine to stop even a slow moving deuce is with the engine stop cable pulled out.

This exactly why the manual says leave the truck with the engine stop cable pulled out. For if the truck moves, there is a good chace it will start - whether or not anyone is in the cab. Beyond that, I'm reluctant to do anything to turn an unknown engine over until I inspect the engine and change the oil. Impurities settle out of oil in idle engine (go to a junkyard and pull the dipstick on a bunch of cars, most of them will look like they had a fresh oil change), and I prefer to get all that crap out of the engine before I turn it over and stir it up.

And our forum owner has had a deuce with 10 reverse gears and two forward - at least until he restarted the truck. The LDT will indeed run backwards (but not too well).

Best wishes,
David Doyle

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks