• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce broken down, clutch will not engage HELP!

deucedeuce

Alright,
My deuce is stuck an hour away from home, the clutch will not engage when I try to start it. It just pulls the truck when I start in gear with the clutch is pressed in. Right before the clutch stopped working The truck started making a kind of knocking when I would press the pedal down but would stop as soon as I let off of it. There also seems to be no pressure in the pedal until its about 3/4s of the way down. What could have broken and is there any kind of roadside repair I could do to limp it home? Thanks in advance

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If it has an inspection cover pull it off and see what comes out. The noise could be a throwout bearing worn out and not fully engaging, or it could have came off the slider part and it stuck in the pressure plate. Whatever it is you will probably be pulling the transmission. Maybe getting someone to pull ya up to speed if you can get it into neutral in low range and like 4th gear and try to roll start it into 4th and be able to drive it.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may be able to start it in low range first gear. Then shift without the clutch. You won't be able to stop or get it into gear from neutral.

It's not for the unexperianced or city traffic, that's for sure.

Hooty481

I was going to reccomend what doghead said. more than likely the the throw out bearing becuase the same thing happened to me in my 5ton a couple months ago and thats what i had to do but i was just a mile from home. not sure how far you are from csmdavis but he is in Mississippi and he could probably help give you a flat or or something.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Often times the fingers come apart and behave as you describe. Odds are high that there won't be an easy field fix on this one. Start planning on a clutch service.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As the Head of Dog says, you may be able to put it in low low. Push the starter button and off you go. If you are experienced in shifting without the clutch, you may be able to get home with it. If there aren't stop lights and signs and stop and go traffic.

I don't know about now, but back in the day we generally only used the clutch for starting out. There are three parts to that. First is it saves clutch wear. Second is it is a lot more fun. Third is that driving truck all day can be pretty boring and if you have something interesting to do like synchronizing the gears and RPM really carefully as you shift, well you have something interesting to do as opposed to just sitting in that air ride seat all day hoping something interesting will happen.

That said, I find my deuce really difficult to shift without the clutch. The 923? No problem.

Good luck!

:beer:

deucedeuce

well i got it home lol, all 42 miles without a clutch. Beerslayer, I dont know about fun, but it was sure a expierence!! i have a pic that also might explain where the problem came from:wink:

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like you guys had fun. Thanks for the photos. Especially the last one.
Yikes! A redneck beach party. I would venture to say the clutch will not be the only issue that creeps up. Better park it over the sprinklers.

FWIW parts consumption is usually par with beer consumption.

deucedeuce

Well now that it home it time to get to work servicing and repairing her. Where can I get the replacement parts? And also what special tools do I need to swap everything? Any tips tricks or advice would be appreciated, thank you.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have a question: Did you remove the fording plug from the bellhousing after you got out of the mud or after you limped it home?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Does it matter?
Not now, obviously.

Just thinking that in a pit like that, all sorts of stones/rocks/debris could have gotten into the bellhousing and broke a pressure plate finger.

Curious what comes out.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I ask because I have had my inspection plate off for years(way bigger than fording plug). I might get into some mud once in a while and have had no issues from it. I did have a PP lever snap once, but I think that was from a mis-adjusted clutch linkage.

armytruck63

Pressure plate, clutch disk and throw out bearing. You should also plan on removing the flywheel and having it turned by a machine shop.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks