• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce camper question

nhdiesel

Has anyone who has done custom bodies on Deuces ever made the rear a walk-through, like the M1010? It would take a good flexible seal between the cab and body, but I would think it could be done. It would be great to have access to the rear.

Jim

nhdiesel

It would be interesting to try to do with a soft top. I think it would need a hard back wall, and just have a targa-style top. I just like the idea of having access to the rear of the truck. Easier for the passenger to grab drinks, or to take a nap on a long trip, or even have a place for another passenger or two.

Jim

63sierra10

If you used the back window area and not cut out the body for a walk thru design, then made a hard front on the bed, so you would have something to fasten to, you could use a custom made camper boot of some sort.

JOAT 0311

I suppose I will be crucified for this but here I go. I am putting an aluminum "bread truck" body on a deuce frame. The main reason is for long trips I would have the ability to pull over and sleep without a ladder and have contact with my passengers throughout the trip. On the subject of access, what about a rear hatch between the cab and box? It eliminates the need for the seal and flex concerns. If you were to have an open in hatch, removable seat base and a vertical zipper on your soft top that may work well and maintain stock appearance. I would remove the center steel "hump" bracket across the frame and make new brackets on each frame rail to secure the cab.

nhdiesel

nopics

I finally get to use this! I want to see pics of that body swap. I happen to have a very clean bread truck (was the donor for my Cummins Durango) that I would like to install my extra 5.9 Cummins in, to use as a hauler for my 4x4 vehicles. My Cherokee fits in the back nicely, and the Samurai would leave even more room to spare.

Jim

JOAT 0311

nhdiesel, I am currently taking pictures every weekend as I get more done. I will take some of the body tom. morning. It is about 4' up on the stands, waiting for a empty frame to call home. I am glad I was able to give you a reason to dress up this post. Is there an icon for another hijacked thread?.......

nhdiesel

Not jacked at all...I was just bored and decided to share the walkthrough idea I had to see if its been done. You are adding info to that...LOTS of info and trial and error, as well. The project sounds very cool!

While on the subject of body swaps...I have an '04 Dodge Ram cab just sitting in the yard, from a wrecked truck. I would love to install it on a Deuce chassis, but it would never make it through NH laws, since it would then have to be registered as an '04 Ram, and have to meet lift height laws, have working ABS, airbags, you name it.

Jim

JOAT 0311

That sounds like a nice monster truck in the works. I will post some pictures tom. I will probably post a new thread in hotrodding for my project. I have been at it on weekends+ since March.:jumpin: My wife is already throwing around words like obsession. I might have to bob one out for her w/auto trans. Is it wrong to infect others with our sickness?

nhdiesel

Hey, just like mine! I had the same rear doors before I removed the rear wall.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd315/nhdiesel/Camper/Hpim0281.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd315/nhdiesel/Camper/Hpim0273.jpg

Mine would be for long distance hauling though, so it was getting built for the highway. Keeping the 19.5" wheels, using a 12 valve 5.9 Cummins, trans is undecided, and I have a 3-speed aux. tranny to put behind it for an extra overdrive and underdrive, which will allow me to run highway rear end gears for mileage, but be able to drop into low gear for tight maneuvering.

I already have the interior designed and have a new stovetop/sink combo, nice leather captain's chairs, and a lot of the plumbing and fixtures for running water. The bed will be a fold-down queen size bed, and I designed a fold-down couch and table assembly that folds up so I can get the Jeep inside. Its on hold right now because I'm out of work though.

Your is a nice looking truck, I'll be watching the build!

Jim

JOAT 0311

Jim, your van body is really clean. Mine is a Grumman from 79. I won't have to worry about rust. I will keep my Multi-fuel and bob the rear end to 15 1/2' centers. I have some semi tanks that should fit under the body. I will also be putting an enclosed trailer together with generator and air compressor/welder (propane conversion) I will set the truck up as a motor home and the trailer will be for tools and extra bunks. I should have the body on before winter. The van body will be the last step this year. Next summer will be stove/fridge, A/C Toilet etc. I will probably run G177's singled.

nhdiesel

Sounds like the ultimate all terrain motor home!

I had a fun time drilling out/grinding off all the rivets to get those rear panels off. The plan calls for a fold up ramp/door with a small ATV winch to raise and lower it.

I can't wait to see your body set up on the Deuce chassis!!!!!!!

Jim

JOAT 0311

Phil2968, you may want to look at Peterbuilt parts. The 379's have a vinyl cover that snaps in over the rubber seal. Some variation of this will really help keep moisture out. Take a look inside a P-Built semi w/sleeper if you have the chance. Are you planning on making a hole the size of the rear window or bigger? Canvas (OD Green of course) w/snaps might work nice. It will keep your seal in place. Sorry I don't have pictures!

JOAT 0311

Hey Jim, rivets seem to take up most of my time lately. That's between 2 deuces and the van body. I sure look forward to the aluminum rivets though. The front spring perches on the deuce can be time consuming.

phil2968

My pass through will be the same width as the cab rear window and taper following the cab bracing stopping just above the rear cab mount. It will go as high as the cab joint above the window.
Not designed as a "walk through", but will allow communication and the all important ham sammich to be passed to the driver, me!

JOAT 0311

I have started a thread of my Service body conversion titled OD Green Affliction for anyone interested. I will be taking a new approach with some different ideas that I hope will be useful to members. It should tie into the camper conversion threads pretty well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks