• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce cargo cover collapse new bows smaller

parlusk

Long story short, over the winter we had a huge snow storm and the bows that hold my cargo cover didn't make it. (pictures below). Also, the buildings that houses the all of the hazmat response equipment for the team that I run also didn't make it. The town offered to let us use the old National Guard Armory that was donated to them for temporary storage for our equipment. there was a lot of old junk laying outside of the building that we agreed to haul off for the town for letting us use the building. While loading up the junk I ran across a rotted box in the weeds and inside was a couple sets of bows, the fiberglass and aluminum ones.... I thought they were for a deuce but when I was installing them i found them to be a bit shorter than my original and not as wide... I was able to make them fit, but it has my cargo cover sitting lower than normal. To me, it looks a little better (pics below) I was just wondering what these could have been for? I am thinking a trailer! I do need new bungee for the bottom as mine is rotted and not usable. Just figured i would share the post, and pictures.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I thought they were for a deuce but when I was installing them i found them to be a bit shorter than my original and not as wide... I was able to make them fit, but it has my cargo cover sitting lower than normal. To me, it looks a little better (pics below) I was just wondering what these could have been for? I am thinking a trailer!
Well, its easy to tell since you have them under the tarp. Its very apparent what they are for, you can't tell?

ageregunner

I had basically the same thing happen to my deuce this winter. I attempted to remove the snow each storm, but one of the last, a real wet heavy snow, snapped one of the cross pieces of wood. Pole barn construction is in progress.

parlusk

The next building will be! Some of the building that collapsed were steel on steel buildings. One was at a local chevy dealership, the owner had a building that housed around 70 classic cars, a lot of the cars had less than 10 miles on them. We had a record 42 inches in the month of February, I am in southwest Virginia

dealership-collapse-2-23-jpg.jpg

parlusk

All of the joint hangers were metal. The buildings were not very well built, I seen several flaws in the construction. I was not in charge when the buildings were built. One of our buildings had four trucks and an enclosed trailer.  Two of the truck were almost new ford f350s with less than 5k miles, one had 8k in damage the other 15k, the trailer was totaled... The 86 m1008 and the 86 chevy 2500 were untouched lol. 

When I bid shops for my house I realized most steel buildings had a low snow load rating. Keeping the price lower. When I asked for a bid with a 80-100 lb snow load, most salesmen told me that is overkill, and not necessary. If they said that I would not do business with them. I told them I was building the shop I wanted. Most steel companies use very thin material to cut costs.

rustystud

Your buildings are not required to handle a large snow load I'm sure. Out here in the Northwest we can get some pretty good storms (usually wind storms) but nothing like the Mid West gets !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks