• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Cargo truck

missoula4x4

This is just a thought.

Does anyone have a pic of the bed of a 2 1/2 ton and 5 ton. I'm wondering whether the cargo bed is completely flat or if there are the seating rails the whole length...

Was looking at prices of a new F-450/Dodge 5500/etc with 4wd, long wheelbase, stake body for transporting kegs. Reason I'm looking is I'm working on plans for opening my own brewery. I really didn't like the $50 grand tag on the commercial trucks.

So my questions are...what's the payload capacities of the 2 1/2 ton and 5 tons? And how long is the bed on them?

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
12ft for a deuce, 14ft for a 5 ton. Beds are flat. You can have "stake" sides and fold down seats if you want them. Furthermore both size beds come in drop side and fixed side versions. Both 2.5 and 5 ton trucks have long wheel base versions with much longer beds, but weight ratings remain the same. You may run in to issues if you use a surplus truck to haul commercially. Your results may vary according to your state laws.

Do some searching on this site. All the answers you seek are contained within...

missoula4x4

yeah I'll definitely want to do stake sides. As far as whether or not I can use surplus I'll definitely check, but I know the cops around here won't care. A long bed version would be really nice since it would give me more room.

Thanks for the advice!

Cheers

KsM715

The cops may not care but out on the public roads the DOT and the "Tax" man will care.(along with your insurance company, should you have a little accident in your commercially used truck)

Rubenk

Why not a basic half-ton pickup and a trailer that fits the bill?

I would not want to be hulking kegs up into a deuce, I have enough trouble getting myself up into it!! :grd:

If you can find them, the long wheelbase version of the deuce is the M36A2. They're rare as hen's teeth, but if you can find one, that would suit your needs quite nicely I believe, if you can get by the legal aspect of it. Also let's not forget Gentlemen, that the weight ratings are different for on or off road. The deuce is rated for 2.5 ton off road and 5 tons on road. I believe a 5-ton truck owner told me the same is true of the 5-ton trucks.
:driver:

missoula4x4

Why not a basic half-ton pickup and a trailer that fits the bill?

I would not want to be hulking kegs up into a deuce, I have enough trouble getting myself up into it!! :grd:
The plan is to have a loading dock so the lifting kegs up won't be an issue. Either that or fork lifts to do the lifting.

The half ton and trailer idea is something I thought of to start, but in the end, that would be harder to navigate and maneuver downtown than the deuce would. A deuce would make a much better looking company truck too...

Plus it's the only acceptable reason to get a deuce according to my smarter half :wink:

Rubenk

The plan is to have a loading dock so the lifting kegs up won't be an issue. Either that or fork lifts to do the lifting.

The half ton and trailer idea is something I thought of to start, but in the end, that would be harder to navigate and maneuver downtown than the deuce would. A deuce would make a much better looking company truck too...

Plus it's the only acceptable reason to get a deuce according to my smarter half :wink:
All fair points. Have you driven a deuce around? The first time I drove mine when I got it home, I pulled out into the field to turn it around and head back out the drive way and ended up doing a 3-point turn IN THE FIELD.

Deuce certainly has a noticeable presence, but I wouldnt want one as a daily work rig.

waayfast

Best to have a heart to heart with your insurance agent first.

Then---as hard as these things ride--wonder if it will shake the beer to much:lol:!!

Oh, and welcome to the site from the other side of the Lochsa!
Jim

Even the smallest breweries I've visited have had forklifts, and the brewery nearest my house (St. George Brewing company) has a loading dock that accomodates the bed of my deuce very nicely. Good luck on your startup, the country can always use another good micro-brewery.

Cheers

Dave