• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce charging

Barneyszoo

I have a battery charging question. I drive my bobber every day as a daily driver to work and to the store exc. The batteries never seem to get fully charged with the short trips, do you think that turning up the regulator would help charge the batteries to full.
Thanks

o1951

If you turn it up too much, then when you run it longer, you will boil the electrolyte. That considerably shortens life of batteries, and sprays fine acid mist in vicinity. If they are working properly, the generators have sufficient capacity to quickly charge batteries.
Charging voltage is 13.8 for new batteries, 14.2 for older ones. I would not turn up above 14.2. I would run a capacity test on generators.

Last edited:

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HI yes this is right,do a load test on genarater check volts then turn on everything,lights 4 way flashers wipers etc see if it still will put out full charge.
Thats a gen not alt,the way to tell is if it puts out full charge at idle its a gen if only full charge at higher rpm's its an altternater.:beer:

Bobbyconti

I know this is an older post, but I would like to add something. If your still running the old prestolite alt, they are antiques, and hard to work with. I converted mine to a 24v delco setup (a new alt. runs 240 bucks, they are easy to rebuild, and very reliable. You just have to make a new mount. It's not difficult . Also, remove your positive cable from your alternator and start your truck. If your alt. has 0v at the positive stud, it's an alternator. If it has 24v with the cable removed, it's a generator. A gen. Will produce its own power. Hope any of this helps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks