• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Compatibility to DOT 5.1 Brake Fluid

codyharper15

I am planning on overhauling my brakes. New seals and rebuilds. So, my question is, has anyone ever put DOT 5.1 brake fluid in their Deuce?

I have read many post regarding DOT 3,4, & 5, and have studied the benefits and short commings of each, but I have not really read anything on DOT 5.1.

If I do go with DOT 3,4 or 5.1, I was thinking about putting on a vent bellow to help seal off the master cylinder: What do you think?
(VB01) Vent Bellow Breather

Prankster

number line

Dot-3
Dot-4
&
Dot-5.1

These brake fluids are all a little better than the last.
Dot-5.1 has been called "the Super Dot-4."

Better heat control
Higher boiling temperature
Less water absorbent

They say don't mix them so, you are told to do a total replacement.
Don't get anal about it, I never did.

Now, Dot-5 is pure Silicone.
Doctors used this stuff for Breast implants.

Dot-5 Keeps your brake system clean, and rust free.
It will not absorb water.
If it will boil; I have never seen it.
Even when it drips on a hot header it still dose not flair up.

Dot-5 is the best!
Never mix this stuff with the other Dots.
I just run it through the brake system by the bleeder valves at the wheels.
When it comes out purple, I stop.
Now, this is where I get a little anal about it.
I bleed all four wheels, and then I do it again!

If you get a spongy peddle, you need to do another bleeding.
I suggest you wait about two weeks so the fluids totally separate.
First remove the Fluid from the master cylinder, and then flush it through the bleeders.

The price of Dot-5 went up so high I find myself using Dot-3 again.
If Dot-3 turns black, go to Dot-5.1.
If Dot-5-1 Dose not fix the problem, go to Dot-5.

So if you run a race car, or go through lots of deep water crossings, or do a lot of steep hills, Dot-5 is the best tool for the job.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vent Bellows ???
I have no ideal if the high pressure of the brake system will destroy your bellows. It seems to me that the bellows was never intended for brakes. If it reduces the pressure in the brake lines, your brakes will suffer.

Honestly if I were to test such an item for my brakes, I would test it on a small car, and not a big heavy Deuce.

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DOT 5 is a silicone based brake fluid and is superior. it is hydrophobic, meaning that it will not absorb water. It tends to be very expensive when purchased retail. However, you can easily find it for sale in one gallon or more quantities from MV parts supply houses for a reasonable price. Stick with DOT 5.

Heavysteven

Yes, I have read of others changing to a non-silicone product. However, DOT 5 is the required brake fuild for the deuce. DOT 5 is not compatable with any other fuild.

I do not understand how a vent bellow would improve the brake system. Your time and money would be better spend on a remote resivor upgrade and a power bleeder.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All Brake fluid manufacturers warn not to mix any other fluid with DOT5.

dozer1

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/conversations/69120-dot-3-vs-dot-5-a.html Its all right here. You are rebuilding everything. You are in a position to choose ANY on the brake fluids mentioned and you know that they will all be safe and effective. It's your call. For me it's a no brainer (it defines the term no brainer) I would go with the readily available, inexpensive, safe enough to be trusted to stop bus loads of school children, DOT 3-4.

135gmc

When I rebuilt my 135's brakes, I took an old motor pool sergeant's advice, and I filled the systemw ith alcohol and blew it out 4-5 times. I let the compressor blow for about 5 minutes. When I filled it with silicone brake fluid, the brakes were perfect. He'd told me that DOT 3 and silicone wouldn't mix, and that the end result was always a spongy brake pedal unless you cleaned out all the old fluid first.

dozer1

Hmm, sorry OP, I never actually answered your question in my other post. I don't know if anyone has use DOT 5.1 yet, but if you want to use DOT 5.1 in your freshly and completely rebuilt brake system, go for it. Sound like a great choice to me. I like the bellows breather idea. If the system doesn't vent to the atmosphere, there is no moisture to ever get into the brake system. The only prob I have with it is it is expensive. Maybe as much as surplus DOT 5.