• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce cooling system clean out

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This was the thread that convinced me to buy a coolant filter. I installed mine exactly as Bjorn did.
Dabtl, After seeing the cut open filter I think I'm going to order one on Monday.
Could you tell me where you installed your lines or post some pics.
I do not have a heater.
Thanks! :beer:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I may have posted images with the incorrect direction of flow through the filter, so double check your installation. The coolant flows from the outside to the center through the filter as shown below.
Hook it up like you would the heater hoses, running the return to the water pump...

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Image showing correct hook-up...the red hoses run to the heating coil in the larger fuel tank used for bio/veggie oil. Since they are all parallel loops, I removed the hot water heater connections to improve the flow.

Attachments

Srjeeper

I would also recommend putting a ball valve on the hose connections at the water manifold & water pump.

Prevents a mess when changing the filter and in the event of a leak it may get ya home.

2cents

Seth_O

Just received the parts today, $45 from Amazon + free shipping. I am not sure if I am glad I read this thread, or wish I never had. Looks like I need to find a reason to drain my cooling system so I can install it.

One thing to remember. Anti-freeze does not go bad. I just gets dirty. I drain my anti-freeze into five gallon buckets and set them under the bushes to let the crap in it settle out. I then reuse it.
[/QUOTE]

Not entirely true. The cooling system has to have the proper ph or it will turn into a battery and dissolve head gaskets, freeze plugs and radiators. This is more important on trucks that are not driven often. You can get test strips that you dip into the coolant for testing. If the ph is out of wack it can be treated by attatives or flushing.

pistonium

Anyone using SCA or other additives, either in the filter or as a separate additive: be aware you can have too much SCA! It's great stuff, but before adding it, you should have your coolant tested in the lab - just like oil testing, it's a good idea to regularly test your coolant, get a baseline of data, and only add SCA if needed. I think particularly in engines that don't get run much, using SCA in filters without knowing what the SCA level is, is asking for trouble.

I maintain a lot of emergency generators, (low run hours) and we found that SCA impregnated filters always cause the SCA levels to get too high.

mightymanx

I think that 140 is far to cold.

Too cold and you can get excessive blow by and wear due to the block heads etc. not getting the proper thermal expansion.

I am perfectly happy at 160-170 and staying there under a load. I also run a radiator block 99% of the time but I live in a colder climate.

I wish I had the room for a fan clutch with out major mods.

AMX

Any one thought about running with out the thermostat in? I pulled it out to flush out my system and it runs at a constant 140 all the time now after it warms up! It ran at 160-170 before
The majority of all engine wear occurs during warmup, which is why continuiously run engines can last so long. Without a thermostat you extend the period of time for the engine to reach normal operating tempature. No thermostat equals much more wear on an engine. At times lack of a thermostat will cause an engine to overheat as the coolant does not remain in the block or radiator for a sufficient time to dissipate the heat.

AMX

ok i understand but in the manual it say to pull out the thermostat for the cleaning process. so wouldn't there be damage being done then? with it out i can get hot water to come out in like 2 minuets of running.

According to engineering studies, over 90% of all engine wear occurs during the warm up process. The damage is not an immediate destruction, it is gradual. To remove the thermostat for system cleaning is not a destructive process, unless you do it on a continual daily basis! NAPA used to sell a powdered cooling system cleaner that was very strong and effective, but you had to make certain that you flushed it ALL out of the system, otherwise it would eat through the heater core and the radiator.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks