• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Crank case oil

panzerjunky

Planning on changing my oil due to a JB welded drain plug on my oil pan got new pan but need to know what type of oil to run. I have searched the posts but I couldent find anyone specificly say run 5 1/2 gallons of ???????? I did see someone say run GL-5 but I was sure that that was gear oil. What would you guys use in San diego Don't say coconut oil LOL
I have the lo but it only states military item No#
Thanks Jerry

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run "traveller" 15w-40 from Tractor Supply Company in my diesel tractor, and generators and they seem to like it just fine. I haven't changed the oil in "The Stone Wagon" yet, but that's what I'll use when I do.

poppop

I run Rotella 15-40 because that is whats stenciled under the hood. But from my farm experience any good quality diesel oil will be fine.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some people swear to use 30wt because that's what the manual calls for. The Military has switched over to 15w40 in them though. I was running Rotella 15w40 but have switched over to CO-OP 15w40 because it is cheaper and has the same specs.

Canislupus

3/2 Mix

ditto:!: I actually run 3 gallons of regular rotella 15/40 and 2 gallons of synthetic rotella. Just peace of mind I suppose.
Hey Coug... If you're running 3 to 2 on this stuff, can you still burn the remains in the MF Fuel Tank, after you're done with it? Of course being properly Filtered, I kind of like this Combi, but also worry about it seeping past my Rear Main...
My 109 is kind of weird...

Carl_in_NH

Rotella 15W40.

Why?

Because it says "15W40" stenciled on the inside of the hood, it's a good diesel-rated name brand, and it's cheap enough in 5 gallon buckets at Tractor Supply.

Chief_919

Any diesel rated oil- the API Rating will start with a C such as CI or CJ in the proper weight (15w-40 in most situations). CI and CJ are the two most common diesel rated oils you will see right now.

API-Cxxxx = diesel oil
API-Sxxxx gas engine oil

Some oils are rated for both

Westex

I use rotella non syn 15W-40 for now. Did my first change after purchasing the deuce this past weekend. Plan on driving it home from Central Texas next week; will be about a 550 mile trip; will check the oil. Probably run it about no more than 2000 miles and will definitely change it out. After that, if I go to a synthetic, might go to a max of 3,500 miles per change but no more. If I do go synthetic, will probably be rotella again, since it's the cheapest of the synthetics and is available at Wally World.

darknessvanquished

ditto:!: I actually run 3 gallons of regular rotella 15/40 and 2 gallons of synthetic rotella. Just peace of mind I suppose.
I second Rotella Syn 5W40. Great protection for $20 a gal. Flows MUCH faster on startup than dino Rotella 15W40. Us cold weather guys like that. If you must run 15W40, Redline and Amsoil both have synthetic versions.

Last edited: