• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce cranks but no start - ITP source?

ridingshotgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My deuce has always started easily. After sitting in the barn all winter, I drained the oil, flushed the case with some new oil, changed the oil and added spin-on oil filters. The truck sat for a couple weeks and it won't start. It cranks but it acts like it is not getting fuel. I don't get fuel at the injectors and after doing some research, it seems like everyone else is able to hear their in tank pump run prior to starting. I have never heard mine run and I think that the system has lost prime. I am assuming that mine is bad or in need of attention. Before I tear into it, I'd like to have a new or working one sitting here in case it needs replaced. Does anyone have any recommendation on where to get one? I see some on ebay and such, but I'd like to buy from a SS member/vendor. Since I am working on the fuel system, I think I'll probably get Jatonka's spin on fuel kit too. Advice or suggestions? Thanks!

shenkmen

You have a hydraulic head, an injection pump, a fuel density compensator, three fuel filters and the in tank pump before the injectors in the fuel system. Grab the troubleshooting technical manual from this site and walk through it.

Edit: changed "field density" to "fuel density". Dang auto correct.

Last edited:

Heath_h49008

Even with the in tank pump dead a lot of guys get them started. I would also start looking at the HH and the shutdown "nub."

Just pull the return line, and stick it in a bucket. Use a compressor in that hole to pressurize the tank (A little) and when you have flow at the filter cocks crank her.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
My deuce has always started easily. After sitting in the barn all winter, I drained the oil, flushed the case with some new oil, changed the oil and added spin-on oil filters. The truck sat for a couple weeks and it won't start. It cranks but it acts like it is not getting fuel. I don't get fuel at the injectors and after doing some research, it seems like everyone else is able to hear their in tank pump run prior to starting. I have never heard mine run and I think that the system has lost prime. I am assuming that mine is bad or in need of attention. Before I tear into it, I'd like to have a new or working one sitting here in case it needs replaced. Does anyone have any recommendation on where to get one? I see some on ebay and such, but I'd like to buy from a SS member/vendor. Since I am working on the fuel system, I think I'll probably get Jatonka's spin on fuel kit too. Advice or suggestions? Thanks!
Fuzzytoaster had some fuel pumps in the classifieds for $50, might want to contact him. After you get your in-tank pump done, if it doesn't start, its probably the fuel shut off rod sticking.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Take a look at my thread when I had HH issues. I pretty much covered all the bases when it came to the fuel system.

ridingshotgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take a look at my thread when I had HH issues. I pretty much covered all the bases when it came to the fuel system.
Thanks Patracy! That was a great thread to learn from. It sounds like I have a lot to learn once I tear into this. It has been raining here since Saturday @ 0300, so that really slows down my mechanic work. It has given me time to stare at the TMs and worry about what all could possibly be wrong. I think I'll take first things first. I'll start at the tank and make sure that there isn't a lot of goo in there. All I have ever ran in it was straight diesel, but who knows what was put in it before I had it. I will take the ITP out and go over that since I'm certain it has not been running since I have owned the truck. All the filters will then be replaced before I even try to start it. At that point I'll cross my fingers and hope I don't have to go down your road of replacing any major components. Do you think it's possible to shuck out a HH simply by cranking the motor with no fuel flow?

scooter01922

Heres to hoping its something simple (it prob is) like the fuse to the ITP is blown and you never had reason to check it. They do run with no ITP but bleeding the system is not going to happen without it, at least not quickly and without great difficulty. Best of luck

ridingshotgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have new pumps if you need one 614-440-9039
Thanks Kipman, once it stops raining here, I'll take the old one out and see if I indeed need one. If that's the case, I'll definitely give you a call. This weekend has been totally frustrating since I had lots of plans for the deuce in addition to all my farm and livestock work. It has been a total washout since it has been raining almost nonstop since early Saturday morning!aua

ridingshotgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, so when I got home from work last night and finished my chores, I went to the machine shed to start on the deuce. I found that there were only three screws holding the ITP assembly in (the other holes were siliconed over and I had never noticed that). Once I got the ITP out, I found that I am missing half of it??? My first thought was that it came apart and was rattling around in the bottom of the tank...wrong! There is nothing else in the tank. On the bright side, there is no sludge or other debris in there and everything looks very clean. Evidently, the previous owner removed some components and left the motor portion in there just for kicks??? Makes no sense to me, but what you see in the pictures is exactly how it came out of the tank. I'll do some voltage checks tonight on the harness just to make sure I have proper voltage to run the pump, and then order a new pump. Kipman, I'll be calling!

IMG_20130530_201420.jpgIMG_20130530_210514.jpgIMG_20130530_210538.jpg

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Someone's been in there before. They can come apart, but with that hose, it certainly screams that someone has been monkeying around.

ridingshotgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kipman, I just sent you paypal for that ITP. Does anyone have any tricks up their sleeve for getting my old wire plug out of the old pump without damaging the plug?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks