• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Differences in the 1970's and 80's..?

tamangel

Can someone tell me what the differences in stock M35/M36's were in the 1970's and maybe into the early 1980's..

engines, drive trains, air shift, etc.. trying to decide what era I want to get.. Also, were Air Force deuces different also?

thanks,

Mike W

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Just spend the money, get a Air Force dual-brake M35 multi-fuel LDS with
drop side, winch, power steering, air conditioning, tinted glass, crew cab,
electric wipers, all services done, all brake lines renewed, rust proofing
and no corrosion, and a valid title from an SS member.
Extra long range tanks too.
Then work on it monthly and enjoy going slow.
Write back.

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most the ones I've seen got built late 60's through the 70's, all of them got gov rebuilds in the 80's. All the parts are interchangeable so I say find one you like and redo the paint scheme in the era you want !

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remember agonizing over this when I was looking for mine.
This time round, I would just look for a mechanically healthy, rust-free Deuce, preferably SteelSoldier-owned, that is well maintained and not abused with deep-water fording, mud bogs and the like. Unless your plan is to to a complete teardown and rebuild anyway; then buy whatever.
The reason why I mention "well maintained" is that if you purchase a single-circuit brake system truck that weighs over 6 tons empty, you will want to have sufficient cash to be able to check and repair/replace any issues in that brake system as your first priority before putting the truck onto public roads. If the previous owner already did that - good for you.

Decide if there are any must-haves the truck needs from the get-go, knowing that practically everything, with the exception perhaps of the dual-circuit brakes, is more or less easily added on afterwards. If dual-circuit brakes are a must, then a 1988/89 AF Deuce is your only option (apparently there are some 1987 that have it...the Air Force Deuce crowd is the ones to query on that).

tamangel

and...to complicate matters, I'm looking for a M36A2 or M46a2 cab chassis.. AF have any of those? Talking w/ Mark at Boyce currently..

Mike W

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not aware of any dual circuit M36 trucks.
There is a nice looking M36 for sale in the classifieds...with a parts truck, if you want it.....

oboyjohn

Hi Rustystud. Up here in Canada we had long frame MLVW's built in brand new around 1982-83. We didn't have many, but they existed. This one has an extended shelter on it, some with HIAB cranes mounted behine the cabs, and one with a big hydraulic driven auger for the engineers, also behind the cabs.

MLVW long frame.jpg

rustystud

Hi Rustystud. Up here in Canada we had long frame MLVW's built in brand new around 1982-83. We didn't have many, but they existed. This one has an extended shelter on it, some with HIAB cranes mounted behine the cabs, and one with a big hydraulic driven auger for the engineers, also behind the cabs.

View attachment 581749

I said the "late" 1980's , meaning the 1987-89 AirForce deuces with the dual brake system. Do your Canadian deuces have a dual brake system ?

oboyjohn

True, they don't have the dual circuit braking system. That would have been a smart mod to do. But from what I have seen in the M3 A3 parts and repair manuals, it is do-able. Just need the parts and the know how.

sandcobra164

The dual circuit brakes are a great upgrade. Playing Devil's advocate, you can't argue with the millions or billions of miles these trucks have traveled with a single circuit brake system as long as the operator followed the PMCS chart in the TM. That part is not complicated, there are Before checks, During checks, and After checks and any issue with the truck is to be reported up higher. In our case, higher is our checkbook and while that is unfortunate. If you can't maintain it in roadworthy condition, you can't afford the issues that may come with it haphazardly failing. These are rather slow trucks but I'm sure an engineer will comment, 13,000 pounds rolling at 45 mph will exert _ amount of force upon what it contacts. If what it contacts does not stop it, it will have _ amount of force to keep going. I'm only saying, if you have not pulled your wheels and drums and verified that your brake system is solid, please do. It will not only save another life, it'll likely save yours!!! These things do fine in crash testing so long as it doesn't wind up on it's roof. All bets are off if that happens and since it is a tall truck, the center of gravity is against you and gravity always wins!!!

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with some other posts here. Do your self a favor and buy a good solid truck with all the trimmings you want from the git-go. You'll save your self time, money, and headaches over buying a fixer upper. My M35A2C was built in 72 and was rebuilt in 10-89 so it's probably as up to date as an early 80s truck. The M36s are a little harder to find but I'm sure some of the membership here can help you find a good one.

59apache

Chipmaker
Even with a PERFECT maintened brake system is a single circuit system unsafe.
A buddy has 2! brake failures due a failing BRAND NEW brake hose....this is not the i've heard, someone told me...it is first hand experience.
First time i was close to him, pulled his truck out of a hole and helped him replacing the hose and second time i was riding shotgun....furtunately it was both in a closed area, at slow speeds.
Little damage, nobody was hurt.

Back to topic:
When i was looking for a deuce, my first point was an airshift transfercase. This is expensiv to change (if you live in europe) . Second overall condition.

Last edited:

rustystud

Even with a PERFECT maintened brake system is a single circuit system unsafe.
A buddy has 2! brake failures due a failing BRAND NEW brake hose....this is not the i've heard, someone told me...it is first hand experience.
First time i was close to him, pulled his truck out of a hole and helped him replacing the hose and second time i was riding shotgun....furtunately it was both in a closed area, at slow speeds.
Little damage, nobody was hurt.

Back to topic:
When i was looking for a deuce, my first point was an airshift transfercase. This is expensiv to change (if you live in europe) . Second overall condition.
I totally agree with you about single brake systems. I've mentioned before about my accident I had with a GMC truck that had a single brake system. It looked great on the outside but the inner brake line had rusted through and when I needed the brakes going down a hill they gave way. So for me the very first modification I would perform on a deuce is convert to a dual circuit brake system.

tamangel

Great info here... So recommendations on brakes are clear.. Dual Circuit mods..

If repower (6BT or DT466) was in the list, and possibe trans switch (if needed due to repower) , which auto and/or which manual does everyone like... i assume stock transfer case will hold up..

Mike W

59apache

Chipmaker
Second important mod is a swap to power steering. (feeled) 38 turns from lock to lock is not contemporary. And in todays traffic it's also not save. Steering efforts at lower speed are to high, reaction times to slow.

Last edited:

59apache

Chipmaker
to answer your question:
The major problem with an other trans is space & overdrive.....and weight. You need a trans with at least 0,78 overdrive to get the same top speed like a standard deuce.
Most transmissions are huge and heavy. With a M36 you have MAYBE a chance to swap a usefull transmission in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks