• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce differences

Horst

I am still very new to all this and could not find anything searching the forum. Some deuces have the headlights low and the black-out driving above, some the other way round. Some have an electrical horn showing thru the grill, some don't. Some have the heater air intake in the folding panel, some have it in the fixed part. Is this manufacturer dependent or build year or a mixture of both?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The headlights low and electric horns are older. The heater air scoop location is randomly picked by the installer.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the low head lights were a non-winch truck, gasser and early multi, high lights was a winch truck, later trucks all were high

Katahdin

My 1966 M109 came with both the electric and air horns, I presume the air horn was added during its mid-1980s overhaul. The electric horn came disconnected but works when I swap the wire connectors over to it.

Big Z

My '67 KJ wo/w has headlights high. It also has the frame stamped 1967--so I'm assuming it started life as a multifuel and this may be the year high headlights started. It does have a 'new' 1987 engine, good looking transmission, '85 rebuilt sprag, so it had some rebuilding into it.. so maybe before it did have lights in the down position.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I was told the electric horn was the "courtesy" horn to be used in town and the air horn was for the open road.

Darwin T

i added the winches to both. the 70 M35a2 (i think she is older but thats what the paperwork said) has the bottom headlights. she has led headlights now, but even with the winch it works fine while driving. there is a spot infront of the truck where the lights don't shine , but you can not see it from the cab and still bright enough you can see fine standing infront by the winch. the 72 M109a3 has the top headlights. he has the led headlights as shown in the picture and works fine while driving also.

the only problem with adding the winch to the top headlight truck is the blackout driving light shines on the back of the bumper and not much infront of the truck. looks bright until you are sitting in the cab at night.

My M109a3 going 100% LED
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/76024-my-m109a3-going-100-led.html

Attachments

Horst

clinto, thanks for pulling those threads together in one post. There seem to not exist a clear date when the change for having the headlights in the upper position (and not interchangable) happend and with so many manufacturers of the deuce it is probably not possible to define that date. Was more a question on learning some background info while it is too cold outside to work on the truck. For the M201 and the M151 I own, I do know pretty much all history, so I keep reading on the M35 too.

bjsmith

i had a 71 wo/w with lower headlight and heater didnt have scoop on side
i now have 67 wo/w with high headlights but once i bob it with bigger tires will be switching to lower because lift laws here are by headlight height

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 72 wo/w has high headlights and the heater intake in the flip down panel. Just curious, where would the heater intake be if it wasn't in the side panel?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks