• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce disc brake

Hitman

bigfoot1.jpghas any one thought about doing a disc brake on the drive line like in the big foot pic
? they did it on front and back.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yup, its called a pinion brake. They are a bad idea because they spin 7xs faster than the wheels and heat up a lot.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Several members have considered the idea. For road use the consensus is pinion brakes do not provide anywhere near adequate braking. You can possible augment your existing brakes with a pinion brake, or just add disc type parking brake to the pinion. For a large truck like a deuce using only a pinion brake does not provide nearly enough braking power for road use.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?8844-Anyone-running-a-quot-Pinion-Brake-quot
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?78932-Pinion-Brakes
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?72102-Great-idea-for-dual-circuit-brakes

There are many other threads in addition to these. If you'd like further reading material, just search "pinion brake"

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
At the recent monster truck show here, it took only seconds for those pinion brakes on the trucks to glow orange from heat & actually throw sparks! It was immediately obvious why these are not suitable for on-highway use.

Hitman

i was thinking of if you had them plus the brakes all ready on the truck if it would with stoping them is all.

rustystud

There's a company that makes a retarder that mounts on the pinion. Our older busses used them. Can't remember the name, I think they are made in Sweden, but you never run brakes from the pinion as I'm sure you know now !

There are a few companies that make a very good disc brake kit that replaces the drums , it uses all off the shelf components (except the brackets) I have them on my buggy . The kit uses F-600 rotors and F550 calipers my concern would be if the stock deuce master has enough volume to fill those large calipers, especially if you did all 6 corners

welldigger

There are a few companies that make a very good disc brake kit that replaces the drums , it uses all off the shelf components (except the brackets) I have them on my buggy . The kit uses F-600 rotors and F550 calipers my concern would be if the stock deuce master has enough volume to fill those large calipers, especially if you did all 6 corners
Disk brakes require less fluid per stroke than drums. The deuce M/c is plenty. You just need to add a remote reservoir so as the pads wear there is plenty of fluid in reserve.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
i was thinking of if you had them plus the brakes all ready on the truck if it would with stoping them is all.
A well adjusted and serviced stock brake system is more than capable of locking up all 10 tires. Sadly most MV brake systems are marginally serviced and maintained at best...

Ugh, braking performance is not measured by the systems ability to "lockup" the tires . You want to slow the wheel as fast as possible WITHOUT locking the wheel to do that you need lots of surface area and a way to disapate heat .

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stopping at the point of incipient skid. Got it. Steve6x6x6 is a member here and has engineered some pretty impressive disc brake kits for the Rockwell double reduction axles. I'd consider him one of the pioneers of the swap.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ugh, braking performance is not measured by the systems ability to "lockup" the tires . You want to slow the wheel as fast as possible WITHOUT locking the wheel to do that you need lots of surface area and a way to disapate heat .
That's where driver ability comes into play.

BTW, the stock drums are able to dissipate 12kw of braking heat each. Or 72kw for the entire truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks