• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce doesn't like going backwards

hughscpa

I have an issue with the bobbed deuce. It runs forward great and shifts fine. No grinding going into any gear including reverse. But this thing does not want to go backwards. It started acting up as if the parking break would stick and it would not go backwards. I would put it in first bump it forward, back in reverse and all was fine. It sat most of the winter and when I hopped in it yesterday, it did not want to go backwards even after "breaking it loose" by going forwards. The engine bogs down like I am pulling a load and can't get it rolling. The times that I did get it to go backwards, when I push in on the clutch it actually would spin both back wheels forward and start me rolling forward. I tried pulling it backwards today and it did not want to go even in neutral. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your truck is mostly equipped with a sprag engagement transfer case. Correct? No air shift? If this is the case, something in the sprag/transfer case is afoul.

Last edited:

OD_Coyote

You may want to jack each wheel off the ground to see if any of your brake shoes are stuck to the drum.
Based on the fact your rear wheels spin when trying to backup would indicate the issue may be with the front brakes.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or more likely, one of the springs/bracket on the parking brake shoe assembly is bound up. One of mine did the same thing, except in forward. Soak the area in PB Blaster.

hughscpa

This old girl has the air shift transfer case. And when I say "spin " I mean it is as if they are under pressure and spin as if I was doing a burnout. Now that would be something to see. I would explain it as if it was one of the old rubber band powered airplanes I had as a kid (great toy by the way). Going in reverse I am winding up the propeller.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you find it is not the park brake, and it is not an air shift transfer case, then there is a link rod from the transmission cover to the transfer case that is to shift the transfer sprag for forward and reverse. Check it to be sure it is properly hooked up and moving as you move the shift lever from forward to reverse.
Regards Martin

Radiogeek99

Just Another Guy
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a similar problem, a few of the cages on the bearings in the transfer case broke off and got caught in the gears. I hope that is not your problem.

hughscpa

Well I backed it up and like before it got to a point and it broke though the pressure point and then backed up fine. Stopped it and then tried to back up again and it was back to not wanting to back up again. It rolls forward fine. If I disconnect the back driveshaft I should be able to see if that continues to lock up without the drivetrain pressure.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I backed it up and like before it got to a point and it broke though the pressure point and then backed up fine. Stopped it and then tried to back up again and it was back to not wanting to back up again. It rolls forward fine. If I disconnect the back driveshaft I should be able to see if that continues to lock up without the drivetrain pressure.
Try taking the front axle caps off the axle, this will take the front axle/transfer case out of the equation. Then back up and see if the binding continues.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try taking the front axle caps off the axle, this will take the front axle/transfer case out of the equation. Then back up and see if the binding continues.
You should only need to take one off cap unless it has a locker in the front (unlikely).

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Crawl under the truck and make sure your parking brake springs (yes both of them)are not broke. What you describe is parking brake out of adjustment.

hughscpa

You guys can't be thanked enough. It was the parking brake. Too much grease had been used and it had gotten on the inside of the drum and collected road grime. Go in reverse and after a short spin, it would lock down on the drum. Cleaned it up and all is well. Thanks again guys.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys can't be thanked enough. It was the parking brake. Too much grease had been used and it had gotten on the inside of the drum and collected road grime. Go in reverse and after a short spin, it would lock down on the drum. Cleaned it up and all is well. Thanks again guys.
I find it amazing that road grime, caked with grease, is able to lock up a drivetrain with a low gear ratio reverse gear, powered by a 140hp engine. I'd have thought the chunks of caked whatever would be sheared right off the drum. Live and learn.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Its the design of the pivot. It multiplies with pressure going backwards and let it spin easily going forward.

Way too easy to toast the pads! I've done it many times.

randini

I have the same problem. No grinding sound, or feel just will not roll backwards. I looked at the parking brake, and loosened the pads. I never thought about looking for grease. I will report back, after the inspection, I am excited!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks