• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce driving in snow

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Michelins won't work on your wheels if you have split rim wheels. Radials can't (or at least shouldn't) be run on split rims.
There is no problem with running tubeless radial tires on a split rim. You do have to run radial tubes in them. My truck came out of the Army with a new set of Goodyear G124's. It now sports a set of Michelin XZL's. My IH dump been running radials on the front for 20 years.

Attachments

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

October 18th, 2009.

Has anyone here ever considered siping or grooveing the lugs and main ridge on the NDT's/NDCC's????:razz: My Swiss Army Cargo Unimog had the original Swiss version of NDT's with grooves cut diagonally through the lugs and the main or center ridge, and she handled remarkably well in snow, and rain soaked pavements, unlike any other military truck I ever ran before. Apparently the sipes give some where for the water to go, and present additional edges for traction to the pavement or road surface. It would be a heck of a lot of work, but most of these tire are marked "regrooveable". Of course those tires went via wear and dry rot, but she is now running on a German Army Unimog's Uniroyal tires, and they are more aggressive block type tread.... doesn't ride as well on pavement, but it seems to have no traction issues.

Just my .02 worth,

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

greenjeepster

Having them grooved is an option, but it might be hard to find a place that has a grooving gun to do it with. I saw a deuce recently that had grooved NDTs on it, it was either out a Frankfort or on ebay.

Studding would be an option if you had a second set of tires to run in the summer, but there again you run into various state laws.