• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce driving tips

snowtrac nome

I didn't see this any place the duce has straight cut first and reverse gear and the rest of the gears 2 to 5 are syncromesh. push in the clutch than put the trans into 2econd or third first for a moment to stop things moving than put the trans in first or reverse you will find there is no grinding that way. if you have the old sprag t-case you must use first gear to disengage the sprag after you have used reverse in reverse the front axle is always locked in.

I didn't see this any place the duce has straight cut first and reverse gear and the rest of the gears 2 to 5 are syncromesh. push in the clutch than put the trans into 2econd or third first for a moment to stop things moving than put the trans in first or reverse you will find there is no grinding that way. if you have the old sprag t-case you must use first gear to disengage the sprag after you have used reverse in reverse the front axle is always locked in.
Not quite. Second gear will release the sprag from reverse, and it is not locked in reverse, it still needs the speed difference to lock the sprag. I drive one every day and there is no missing when that sprag locks on pavement.

winfred

yea mine decided to kick in at 45 mph in the interstate, the bucking kicked off a upper dogbone end but somehow didn't damage the drivers seat cushion, figured out what happened when i looked back and saw the marks the front tires made

there is no missing when that sprag locks on pavement.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Not quite, if you look at how the T-case is controlled(by the transmission), shifting out of reverse to any gear will be fine.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yup

Just crawl under a truck and shift through the gears. The rod only pokes out(of the transmission) in reverse. Any other gear and it sucks in. You can see this on any truck as they all have the rod to control the sprag.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My best advice is more seat time.

Only owned the truck a short time, but I've put about 1200 miles on it in 2 months. Getting comfortable with it helps. I see this when I let friends drive it and I can see how awkward they feel. The steering was daunting when I first started, but I've really gotten used to it now.

Oh, and if you go off-roading, make sure the handle for the window is in the 12 o'clock position, not a big thing but after banging your knee into it a few times, you'll get it.

The previous owner rigged up a cushion attached to a slat that slides next to the driver's side window. He did it to protect his elbows and maybe others could do the same. I've not had a problem with my elbows, but it makes a great arm rest! I'll get a pic of it later.

The cab fogging up just hasn't been a problem for me, my cab is as drafty as a cabin built with green lumber.

If you really want a solution for driving in the heat, you could wear a water cooled shirt. People use them for racing (that's where I know them from). You have a cooler with ice water and a pump cycles the water.
18s3zujw36em8jpg.jpg

fasttruck

Don't ride the clutch or lug the engine. If you are going less than 40 mph you shouldn't be in high gear. Do get and read and understand the -10 and -20 manuals for this vehicle. Do get up close and personal with the tire gauge and the grease gun. The grease gun is your friend. Grease is cheap, air is free. Tires and parts cost money. Remember this vehicle has manual steering. Get a LO to identify the lub points. A m35a2WOW has about 34 grease fittings ,more if there is a winch. There are 4 on the handbrake alone.

rustystud

Do not park where you might get surrounded. you'll never get out because of the turning radius. Think ahead in parking lots, and gas stations.
This is one of the most important tips I've read so far ! As a bus mechanic that is the very first priority when going out to fix and retrieve a bus. How do we get it out of here ?!?! This same rule applies to any large vehicle. Always be conscious of your surroundings.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks