• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Dump Truck Conversion

tobyS

I'm working on doing the telescoping cylinder and 24 volt pump on a 923 Cargo. PM me for more info.

DeuceSiek

Hey, it’s been a while since I have posted on here. The Dump conversion is still running strong and I have had no issues!
I am currently working on adding a hitch plate. I picked up a trailer for my excavator and need a way to tow it. When I did the dump conversion I shortened the frame and had to remove the factory bumper and hitch setup.

Attachments

DeuceSiek

the next step is to figure out how to work the 12v electric brakes. I have picked up a nice 24v to 12v converter capable of 40amp output. But that’s as far as I have gotten. Any recommend for brake controllers would be great.

DeuceSiek

The back of the plate is reinforced with 4in x 1/2 steel plates. I cut all materials and tacked them in place and had a local welder do all of the welding with a larger machine than I have. He is a professional fabricator and does commercial dump trucks all the time. He has assured me that this setup Is overkill for the load I will be towing.

DeuceSiek

o_O...... So no strut bars - and them bolted (not welded!) to the frame?

That looks dangerous to me, as it is....
Not 100% sure what you are trying to point out. Everything is welded to the frame.
Do you think the flex of the frame could cause the welds to fail?

I am extremely concerned about safety, I looked at several dump trucks that have been in service for a long time and they all had similar setups.
Thank you for your feedback. I will do some additional research.

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, here are my arguments:
First of all, welds on the frame should be avoided. Not only because the frame does flex. I would never rely on anything only welded there, even if it was the best welder who did it!
2nd, if all you want to pull with it is a 3/4-ton trailer, your setup should hold fine. But don't even think of tow-baring another Deuce and having the safety chains attached to those shackles, way down there!
3rd: Knowingly, what can happen, will happen.... There will come a day when you got stuck in a ditch or in soft ground, heavily loaded - and someone with a big truck or heavy tractor will try to pull you out, same way you went in. Guess where the recovery strap (or worse, a chain) will be hooked up to.....?

For safety, I'd move the pintle hitch and D-rings back up to their stock height and position. Then run a pair of L-struts, from the frame down to the receiver hitch. Bolted to the frame, of course!

Here are some ideas:
20200914_130855.jpg M35, aux hitch 004.jpg M35, aux hitch 006.jpg