• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce electrical troubles

gunboy1656

Ok, I need some help from the experts….

I just got my M35a2, and noticed an electrical issue. I looked in the TM, and on here (I could have missed it somewhere) but did not see what I needed.

When I use the turn signal, either left or right, it goes to 4 ways. At first I thought it was the hatchet job on the wiring to the flasher unit. But playing around with it tonight, I set the control for just the marker lights, and noticed every time I hit the brakes they light up. I know that’s not normal.

So am I looking for 2 different issues, or is there 1 that could cause both? My father is coming over this week to help me figure it out, but figure I would see if there is a good place to start, rather then search the whole truck.
The 3 wires going into the flasher box, are ALL red.
I will try and get pics tomorrow.

m109guy

I am by no meens an expert but i would change the 3 lever first.
I would suggest the same thing if you have another one available. We had a similar problem with our M35. We would either not have flashers at all, or they would all come on and stay on.

The first problem (not coming on), was a grounding problem with the flasher control box. We ran a new ground wire from the control box to a good ground point and it fixed that problem.

The second problem (flashers staying on), was due to a bad flasher arm. Changed it with another arm and everything works fine now.

If you say the electrical wiring looks okay, I would try changing the arm first. Then the flasher control box if changing the arm doesn't work.

Hope that helps.

gunboy1656

Dont have parts on hand, but luckily theres a dealer close by, well an hours drive.

As for the wires running into the flasher control box, they look good. even though they are red and not tagged.

poppop

I think your problem is in the turn signal switch on the steering column. It is the only place that can feed current to all lights. The brake lights feed through it also even if you are not using the turn signals. I worked on mine a couple weeks ago for a different problem. In some of the posts here some wires were identified to help you check wires with both switchs diconnected. If I were better with computers I would post a link but you should find it with a search for turn signal problem. The online TM has the wiring diagram with the wire numbers.

Last edited:

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
gunboy,

poppop may be onto something. the stock wires should be black wires, but they could have been bad and somebody might have changed them out. Follow them to where ever they go and see that they are hooked up properly, if they are, start looking into the turn signal switch....the brake lights and the turn signals are two separate circuits.

the three wires on your flasher should be...

A = 467a
B = 467b
C = ground

the 467 a and b wire should go to the connector at the bottom of your turn signal switch pin numbers H for wire 467a and F for wire 467b. If they go to the proper places, then I would start looking into the turn signal switch. TM 9-2320-361-24-1, work package 11 starts the troubleshooting section, the specific section for the turn signals is work package 13...if I were you I would start off with page 0013 00-21 (after you verify the wiring of the flasher) which is the continuity check for the turn signal switch.

gunboy1656

The red wiring only goes 6-8 inches, then wires into the harness.

Unfortunately, I woke up late for work today, so the pics will wait til tomorrow so you can see what I am trying to work with

Speddmon- thanks for the info, that will be a big help.

gunboy1656

Well, today I tore into my troubles. Checked the control arm, the flasher control. just to make sure they worked, they did. I pulled the tape the was behind the control arm, found 4(yes 4) bare wires all taped together. So I taped them individually, then all together. Now everything works as it should, even hitting the brakes dont light up the marker lights.

So then I got into the horn issue, found that someone took out the horn circuit breaker. Any one have one? know wheres the best place to get one. Checked all the wiring out, ran a jumper to make sure the horn worked..it did, so now all I need is that part.

Been a very interesting day.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to hear you got the lights working again.

Circuit breakers are at Saturn Surplus for something like $22

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, today I tore into my troubles. Checked the control arm, the flasher control. just to make sure they worked, they did. I pulled the tape the was behind the control arm, found 4(yes 4) bare wires all taped together. So I taped them individually, then all together. Now everything works as it should, even hitting the brakes dont light up the marker lights.

So then I got into the horn issue, found that someone took out the horn circuit breaker. Any one have one? know wheres the best place to get one. Checked all the wiring out, ran a jumper to make sure the horn worked..it did, so now all I need is that part.

Been a very interesting day.
While you fixed that, you may wish to remove the tape one at a time, properly solder the wires, and use a piece of heat-shrink tubing. I solder everything and instead of tape, I use heat shrink tubing. I have zero electrical problems, except occasional new ones.